Exploding Tempered glass plate in chimney
The Valido glass chimney I had purchased three years back just exploded for no good reason.
My wife had completed the days cooking and the chimney was not in operation there was no heat/sound/light anything turned on near the chimney.
My wife was walking away from kitchen and suddenly the chimney just exploded for no good reason.
So, if you are buying a Gilma chimeny with any tempered glass covers (especially curved designs) which really appear cool/contemporary/sleek, be aware that you might be purchasing a time bomb which could go off in its own sweet time.
The danger is about glass shards which get strewn everywhere. We not only had to throw the days cooked items but also uncooked food items like salt, fruits, and other assorted ingredients which were in containers and were open. The glass throws up crystalline granules as well as fine glass powder. You don't want to be consuming glass/silicon with your next meals.
I'll update this write up after visiting the Gilma stores with the followup.
Sep 11, update/follow up:
As promised earlier, here is the follow up.
The visit to the dealer/service center was not that bad. My wife came to know that this happens with Gilma chimneys when pressure cooker valves blast off and hit the glass chimney. True enough, in our case, a few weeks before this incident, our prestige cooker had blown its valve and after some time, the glass which had weakened gave away in our case.
The moral - Prestige cookers and glass chimneys (for that matter any make) don't go together. You are probably better of using Hawkins cookers where the safety valve is covered by the handle and when the valve gives away it doesn't shoot up like a rocket.