DriveWay.com Reviews

Driveway Disaster
Oct 05, 2001 12:00 PM Read

Backing up is always a good idea, however when you decide to backup online the problems are many and the grey hairs start to appear.

I joined Driveway when the space limit sat at a comfy 50 megabytes. Great, I thought, that was just enough to store my valuable website files at the time. Not so great was when, after only been signed up for a month or so the ominous e-mail came saying that space had been limited to 20 mb unless you were prepared to pay for the extra. That sucked to put it plainly, but I was hardly shocked as most place eventually turn that road.

So I split the storage between Driveway and Freedrive. The upload performance on both was poor to say the least. Slow and with a tendancy cease halfway through!

Finally it was the second e-mail that scared me and turned me into a hater of any sort of online storage. Yep, they were shutting down and saying goodbye to who knows how many members. They gave a certain amount of time to transfere files to http://www.freedrive.com before everything was lost. Ironically, freedrive did the same thing, reduceing their space, and I don't use their services as I expect that it will dissapear for good too shortly.

My advice, get a CDRW drive installed and backup on disc, if something goes wrong it's your fault anyway and for those who pay to access the net it's cheaper in the long run.

Driveway will be close down MARCH 5th
Feb 27, 2001 12:47 AM Read

To All, THE GREAT FREE DISK SPACE DRIVEWAY.COM IS CLOSING DOWN STARTING MARCH 5th SO GET YOUR IMPORTANT FILES OUT OF THERE AND TRANFER IT TO ANOTHER LOCATION.

HTPP:// http://www.FREEDRIVE.COM

THIS IS WHAT I GOT FROM DRIVEWAY.COM ....READ BOTTOM....

Dear Driveway user,

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE. IT CONTAINS IMPORTANT INFORMATION

ABOUT

THE FILES THAT YOU STORE ON DRIVEWAY.

As of March 5th, 2001, Driveway will discontinue all Driveway.com file

sharing and storage services. We have appreciated your support and use

of

Driveway. Effective immediately, Driveway is no longer accepting new

user

registrations, file uploads or purchases of additional space. After

March

5th, 2001, you will no longer be able to access any files stored at

Driveway.com.

To make sure you continue to have global access to the data in your

Driveway

account, Driveway recommends that you sign up for a FreeDrive account.

For

file transfer, download the data in your Driveway account to your

desktop.

Then, use FreeDrive's FD Desktop feature to easily drag and drop your

Driveway files from your computer to FreeDrive.

FreeDrive is the largest online file storage service with over 12

million

members. In addition to 50 MB of Free space, FreeDrive also offers

Chat,

CD Burning, Photo Albums, and more. Just click the link below to sign

up:

< http://www.freedrive.com/ASP/PostLinkClick.asp?lid=15540&noqs=1>

Again, we thank you for your support of Driveway. Also, please note

that in

accordance with our privacy policy, all user identity information and

files

stored on the Driveway.com web site will be deleted once services are

discontinued. If you would like to read more about our service terms

and

conditions, all of which are subject to the contents of this message,

please

access them on our corporate web site:

Sincerely,

The Driveway Team

Helpful Site
Nov 15, 2000 06:51 PM Read

Its a very helpful site to upload and download the data easily and quickly. It eases to transfer data from one place to another.it makes lot easier for us to reach clients in case we do some changes in our data or source code.we got our brances in all metros and abroad. we feel much at ease as far as accessing the data is concerned.

it has enough space for each user to store data.so far no such bad experience worth mentioning.

DriveWay.com
HDD away from HDD!!!
Nov 14, 2000 01:01 AM Read

As a person who spends most of his time writing

programs for class projects, this happens to

be quite a useful site. The best aspect of this

is that one could upload anything (limit 25MB)..

on any internet accessible terminal.

The only problem I have faced with this site is

the traffic that I sometimes face...

Best of all!
Nov 12, 2000 10:49 AM Read

After my experience with all these new online storage start-ups, DriveWay is the best! I have concluded this because of several reasons. One, because it is very simple to use. You don't have to go thru many 'block' or screens bugging you inorder to access your files. This comes in handy when you are in a hurry. Second of all, I love the Office 2000 feature where its almost like have a drive on your computer where you can save things directly into your driveway folder by using normal Windows functionalities! So far, this feature impresses me a lot.

While driveway is very good overall, it does have some cons that can hurt you at times when you need to upload big files (>5 MB or you know) because when you are uploading a file, a window pops-up and some people think that they can use the parent window for browsing while the popup window will do the work which is not how it works! All the popup window does is provides a good status of the transaction but the whole uploading is done on the parent window. If you have a big file, you might want to use the Office 2k feature but afterall, there are still chances that during large file transactions, windows will hang-up.

I apologize for being a bit technical here but for those who get it will hopefully be thankful for this!

Its the best so far...
Nov 10, 2000 02:37 PM Read

Me being a busy college student would need some online storage as I dont always carry floppy disks with me and you never know what documents you may need! So I tried almost all of the online storage services. Although driveway does not offer a lot of storage space, it is enough for me. I can save my projects and documents and with the option to share them, it makes it easier for my group members and friends to have access to it.

Driveway is fast and it keeps adding new features to it such as online drive folder. It would create a folder on your desktop which is just like any other folder. You double click when you are online and it logs you into your driveway account. You can then drag and drop any files that you need to save.

So even if you forget that floppy disk of yours or you loose it, you can be sure that you have a backup and have access to it from any place which has internet access.

The website loads quickly and it is consistent. I would recommend it to any person looking for online storage. If you need more space, you can just create multiple accounts - like user1 and user1 and so on..Driveway would not mind :)

Recommended Top Articles