Cry.org Reviews

Unethical Marketing
May 26, 2019 06:10 PM Read (via Mobile)

I met a CRY representative in a mall in Pune. As I had heard of the agency, I decided to donate a particular amount. The representative then successfully convinced me to increase the amount and told that the donation is 100 exempted under IT Act. He also informed that I will receive a receipt the very next day. I did receive a receipt but almost after 1 month. From the receipt it was clear that only 50% of the donation amount was exempted from income tax.

Such practices followed by an NPO is unethical and shameful.

Also after studying about the NPO online, it is difficult to conclude any area in which CRY has made a difference.

Would prefer donating to any other legitimate institute next time.

CRY Marketing gimmic rather than any solid work
Mar 27, 2019 04:20 PM Read

I had been donating to CRY since years. In the year 2017, there was undue pressure from their representative to donate more. I resisted. Last year I e 2018, when I was requested to donate, I asked for report on work done by CRY in Maharashtra during last year. On promise that the report will be sent to me immediately, their representative collected cheque but report was not sent despite follow up.

This year, when there was a donation request from there office, I asked for said report to be sent first. I was sent a colorful Annual Report 2017-2018. This report is 1 year old. Further it is more of marketing gimmick with colorful pictures & few financial figures. You can not make head or tail out of report about what solid work was done.

I wrote to Ms Puja Marwaha, Chief Executive, CRY. There was no reply.

It is questionable about CRY working for cause it advertises.

CRY -Doubtful regarding actual Usage of Funds
Dec 26, 2012 12:40 PM Read

I am living in Surat. Volunteers of CRY & Helpage frequently visit my office asking me to donate for CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) and specifically mention the section 80G exemption (50%) in case of CRY and Section 35AC exemption (100%) in case of Helpage. At every visit some new faces come over to persuade me and other persons in the building in which I am having an office. At times, it happens that there are more than 2/3 visits by their volunteers in a month. I think this is not justifiable.

Once a person has made donation, I don't think it is good to chase him after few days for collecting further donation. I have a suspicion in my mind as to whether the volunteers are actually sales persons promised of a certain remuneration on collection of certain amount of donation. I also think that they may collecting Rs.100/- and thereafter expending Rs. 25/- for cause but cooking books to show the same as Rs. 100/- and lead a luxury life from the rest of Rs. 75/-. None of these organisations were shown in the Satyamev Jayate of Aamir khan and neither of them is mentioned in the list of NGO at Giveindia.org

Cry.org
CRY and Care
Aug 22, 2003 05:11 PM Read

We can be found at https://urbanohermits.blogspot.in/

Welcome to the grim world of the deprived Indian child! The future almost always seems to look bleak for them, and never ever rosy!

We are so fortunate that sometimes we forget that there are so many others who are. how shall I put it - misérable! Among them, the Indian child stands out! Yes, the torch-bearers and the future citizens of India, and none other! Fact is, the word ’’misérable’’ does not even begin to describe their plight! We do not like to be reminded about these things, but the realities of life are always around the corner! The high and mighty keep promising the world, and delivering nothing.

This is where CRY comes in! CRY and Care!

CRY is actually an acronym for Child Relief and You. The acronym seems to carry(unfortunately), a twisted meaning to it, albeit a sad one - that of the generally deprived Indian child! It focusses on improving the plight of Indian children! Non-Indians may ask - what is this? Discrimination? Why only Indian children? Don’t all children deserve a better life? You would be absolutely right in asking that question! Yes, all children deserve a better life! It is just that there must be a starting point to begin from, and the Indian child would be the appropriate community to start with! After all, do we not have shameful statistics on our side? Most of the deprived children live in India! Further, though CRY began in 1979, it still is not such a huge organisation(or any way near), to be able to cater to the world!

Most Indian children are deprived to the point of not even having their basic needs taken care of viz., food, clothing, and shelter! Yes, the ones that we take so much for granted that we rarely have space in our thoughts for them! And that includes me too!

Truth is, it is not really our fault!

We live insulated lives, and insulation can only shut us off from harsh reality! Needless to say, insulation can occur in the most simplest ways to the most complex! Take a regular employee who works 6 days a week(sometimes, even 7 days too), from 9am-6pm. Where does he have the time to look around and see the less fortunate communities! Or take a wealthy person, a politician, or a person who is residing in a posh locality in an advanced country - his environment does not even permit him to see these things! And the jaunts that we hang out in, or the leisure spots that we take a stroll in? Fact is, we are so caught up in our lives that we don’t have time to spare for these things!

Nope Guys! It is not really our fault!

In fact, most of us have the essential goodness in us, and would like opportunities to help! It is just that though we do care(perhaps, in a passive way), we do not really know how to help!

It is here that CRY takes a different approach from other charitable organisations! It brings out the passive element in us, and shows each of us a way to contribute to make a better life for the deprived Indian children! Most charitable organisations seek cash donations or the equivalent, whereas CRY provides alternative models for providing help to the Indian child( http://www.cry.org). In fact, the CRY website is is a beautiful site with an even more beautiful and noble purpose! It is well designed to the point of simplicity! The site design, the images, and the messages on the site reflect a happy child! A happy child who has been provided a better life through individuals like you and me!

Partnering with CRY is a pleasure ’coz it actually allows and provides a way for every individual in society to contribute, and not always through cash donations. Just take a look at the various modes of help that an individual or corporate can provide meaning to the under-privileged Indian child - by volunteering time, skills or materials, spreading awareness about CRY and its goals, by disseminating information about CRY(like sending free CRY eCards, downloading free CRY wallpapers and screensavers and passing them on, adding a signature pledge of CRY to our eMails), buying CRY Cards or CRY products from shops(like diaries, desktop calenders, telephone and address books, puzzles, wooden toys, educational games, household linen, candle stands, frames, and jewellery), cash donations either online or offline(the most obvious!), and sponsoring childrens’ health and education.

Simplistically put, CRY makes use of everything, your money, time, skills, materials or even your moral support to whatever extent is possible. And all for a noble purpose. This is one site that is worth visiting and contributing too! It brings out the ’’human’’ in us!

I mean, if non-Indians can care for Indian children(think Steven Waugh), can we not take care of our own? May be not through cash donations always, but definitely through the other options!

Website: http://www.cry.org

You can check us out at https://urbanohermits.blogspot.in/

Recommended Top Articles