Best Online Course on Computer Science and Engg.
Jan 20, 2013 12:57 PM 2392 Views

I am a standard non-IIT computer science engineering graduate. My understanding of computer science topics like programming, data structures, algorithms was limited to standard textbooks and lab courses.

I enrolled on the VirtuQ course for programming, data structures and algorithms in July 2012. The most interesting features of the course for me were

1) The internet-based learning

2) A nice and light weight linux/unix based lab platform

3) Practical valued lectures unlike the standard academic lectures

My experience in the last 5 months is provided below.

The complete course was based in UNIX/LINUX environment which itself is an exclusive feature of this course.

In programming, I learnt  "To be a true C++ programmer using the core object oriented features "

In data structures and algorithms, I was trained to effectively use data structures like stacks, queues, linked lists to advanced data structures like graphs, trees. Extensive use of data structures using STL and third party libraries like Boost was an asset of experience for any fresher.

The most important component was the industry relevant project. We were made to develop a complex EDA tool providing an exposure to professional use of data structures, algorithms and above all the essential coding style principles to develop software in an industry relevant manner.

The founders of this course Dr. Anup and Dr. Basant were the biggest asset for me as a student of VirtuQ. All through they guided me in the right measure.

VirtuQ is a standout course in that they DO NOT SPOON FEED and destroy the CREATIVITY.

VirtuQ guided me to sharpen my THINKING and DEBUGGING skills to be a good individual contributor.

In addition, they provided grilling mock interviews that would prepare anyone to face the toughest interviews.

To the price conscious, I bet you can't get such a wonderfully paced course even at three times the price.

To summarize, "I LANDED UP IN A JOB IN THE TOPMOST EDA COMPANY IN THE FIRST INTERVIEW OF MY LIFE"

The only thing to keep in mind when joining VirtuQ course,

NO PAINS NO GAINS. This course demands us to  sincerely and consistently spend time on a daily basis.

This review is a sincere and heartfelt compliment to the people and course behind my transformation from the "standard" engineering graduate to a "confident, competitive" engineering graduate.

Harisree