28 Tips

The Famous Five
Jan 07, 2006 11:31 AM 33234 Views
(Updated Jan 07, 2006 11:47 AM)

Yes Traveling excited me a few months back.But then fate had it so that I had to move out of my home town(Delhi)for further studies,and now life's nothing more than traveling either from Delhi to University(Ambala)or either ways or Ambala to Chandigarh,or Ambala to Karnal!!!woops!!!Well NH 1 seems to have become my alternate home...and I have to admit,traveling is not all that exciting always.

But yes,hill stations excite me still.I am very fond of cold climate and love winters.The best part about Delhi's location is that there are cool hill stations just at 6-7hrs drive.And when summer takes its toll on poor Dilliwaalas,all they have to do is pack their bags and...ready,steady,go...I have been to many hill stations in Himachal Pradesh as well as Uttaranchal.Every year in the summer vaccations,me and my mom-dad along with their friends(and their families)would go to some new place for a holiday!!!Since we Delhiets are sick of the horrible summers we face,our destination would always be a hill station,where we could go,relax and enjoy the cold!

So my choice of Top 5 Hill Stations in India comes fom those annual trips with mom-dad,Rana Uncle,Satija Uncle,Docter Uncle,Jain Uncle,Surinder Uncle,Kirpal Uncle and Ramesh uncle and dubey uncle(just once) and not to miss the entire bachcha party!!!

Nainital...A nice hill station,one that I have visited quite a many times and seen gowing from a peaceful and quite station to a noisy and rushy one.The major highlight of the place is theNaina Lake,which is the oldest ''boating destination''that I have known.A row of hotels run along side the lake with more than a dozen calling themselves ''lake view''.You will see ''The Lake View King'',''The Lake View Resort'',''The Lake View Orchid'',''The Lake View Bunglow''..and the list is endless!!!

There's a mall road where u can shop for the normal stuff u get at a hill station,ie,clothes,small tokens of the place,caps,sweaters and shawls etc.A speciality of this place is Candles,i remember how on each visit we would pick up a few for our home,and NEVER burn them.they r still safe in our showcases!!!These candles are beautiful statues of wax..(i wonder if they burn,coz we never tried to)nd are available in many colours.This is the best token that u can take home for ur collection and memory of this place.

The sad part about this hill station is that with the commercialization,the beauty of the place has lost its charm.I remember that the lake has changed too.When I first saw it in 1990 and then later saw it in 1995..it had changed remarkably..and for the bad!!!I dont know the latest about the place,but hope things are getting better there becoz many like us would have opted Nainital out of there tourist destinations because of its lost charm!!

Also there is the Temple of Naina devi,which is considered highly auspicious and is visted by hundreds of devotees.

Massourie..This is a natural order with me that after Nainital comes Massourie automatically...(dont know why!!!)Probably because these were the 2 hill stations we visited the most as children.Massourie happens to be my favourite hill station.Firstly because I can never come out of the great experience I had in staying at my uncle's villa (Chaman Niwas)with all my friends,dancing the nights out,cooking on our own,the terrace,the chill,the clowds flowing inside the house through the windows,etc.And Secondly becaus this was the last hill station I visited with my mom before her demise!!!Thirdly because this was the last hill station I visited with my Massi before she went to the USA!

The place has beautiful scenic charm.The biggest mall road that I have seen on any hill stations belongs to Massourie.There's a long Tibet market who's end I have never been able to spot.The perfect landmark is The Gandhi Statue,which is one end of the mall and the mall extends upto almost a streach of 4 Kms(even more)till the Skating Ring.There are unlimited shops and unlimited variety of stuff u can pick for urself and ur friends back home.Innumerable food joints serve tempting food.The best part about this place is its weather,u just never know when it is too sunny and then suddenly it starts raining and then suddenly becomes sunny again.It is advised for all those who visit this place to carry an umbrella each time they go out,coz rain in this place is too often and it means RAIN not drizzel.In all my 4-5 visits I have seen untimely rains and it showers very heavily without any drizzle before and after.This is the first place I saw a rainbow at.

I can go endlessly on about this station because it has become an un-fading part of my memory of childhood days..Thanx to Ruchi,Reeti,Mannu Bhaia,Saurabh,Parul,Nikhil,Rohit,Gaurav,Bittoo Bhaia and Akshay.(I love u guys,and we may live miles apart or never meet in yeas..but still we ROCK!!!!Remember...Ishq Tera Tarpaye..ohooo!!!)

Kullu Manali…Well I visited this hill station only once.But yes it is amongst the good ones that u must visit.Kullu is though a little warm,but offers a wide range of woolen cloths u can shop for.Caps and Shawls made of kullu wool are exported all over the world and are definitely worth buying.Manali on the other hand is special for the River Beas which flows right in the middle of the station,deviding it into 2 parts.The River is a delight in its own sort.Its banks serve to be the perfect spot to spend afternoons and evenings during ur stay.Though there are not many good places to shop at,but this place offers a charm different from all the others.The best place to go around Manali in Rohtang Pass…where I saw snow for the first and last time in life!!!Then also there’sManikaran Sahib just few Kms. Before Kullu(while going from Delhi)which has magnificent natural hot water springs.

Chehel..This is one peaceful and quite station.If u wonder what Virgin Beauty is,u can find the solution at Chehel.If u r looking for a shopping spree,this would not be an advised destination,but for those ike me,for whom vaccation means unwinding the soul,this is the perfect place to be.The major attraction of the place is The King's Palacewhich stands as a reminder of India's rich past.U can even stay in this palace-turned-hotel,though the prices would be really high.I have known this place since it had only 1 hotel and now there is indeed some devolopment,but then the beauty is still untouched.

Shimla..Now this is one place I have gone to for more than 5 times in the last two yrs,as a cousin was studying at the Himachal Univ(Shimla).This is the cleanest hill station of Northen India and rightly calledThe Queen of Hills.The summer Capital of the British in pre-independent India,has many old buildings constructed by the British.There is so much u can do in this place.This is the most devoloped hill station in Himachal as it is the capital of HP.There are brand outlets of brands like Reebok,Peter England,etc.Also there's alot of variety of food,u have Dominos for pizzas and countless food joints all over the mall.The main attraction of this place is The Church.(This is the same church where Sanjay Leela Bansali shot for his film Black).U can horse-ride or even walk aroud nd the mall road or just sit and relax at the Town Hall.

So I am sure by now u guys must be ready to pack ur bags and go...

cheers...

PS-This one's or all my friends(mentioned above)...we may live miles apart guys,but we will stand by each other no matter what..just as our parents have always!!!what say?..We Rock!!!