News Coverage:

Editorial Content:

Layout and Design:

The Tribune, A true Mirror of the Region
Jul 15, 2002 10:05 PM 8600 Views
(Updated Jul 15, 2002 10:05 PM)

News Coverage:

Editorial Content:

Layout and Design:

The Tribune is a very popular newspaper in Chandigarh, Punjab and Jammu & Kashmir. It is published by The Tribune Trust. The Dainik Tribune in Hindi and The Punjabi Tribune in Punjabi are the sister publications of The Tribune.

I came to know about The Tribune, when I was the Manager of The Indian Express at Chandigarh in 1977. Mr. S. S. Sarma, was then the General Manager of The Tribune, and Mr. Prem Bhatia was its Editor. Although I was in The Indian Express, the first newspaper I used to read every morning was Tribune. It was my most favourite newspaper. We in the The Indian Express had a lot to learn from it.

I and Mr. S. S. Sarma became good friends. I used to call him Bade Bhaya ( elder brother) and learnt many things on Newespaper Management from his experience. Mr. Kuldip Nayyar, who was looking after the editorial side of the Indian Express, Chandigarh Edition, had introduced me to Mr. Prem Bhatia, a very outspoken person. He possessed excellent editing abilities.

Indian Express operated from the Industrial Area of Chandigarh, and there were no housing facilities available for its staff, who were living in different Sectors of the City. The Tribune Staff were living in the houses provided by the Tribune Trust and their children were studying in the Tribune School. The Tribune had a better public image than our Express. This is the difference between a Company, which owned Indian Express Group of Newspapers and a Trust, which managed The Tribune group of newspapers.

Editorially speaking, The Tribune, through its articles, features and editorials spoke about the people of the region and reflected their problems, concerns and ambitions. On the other hand, The Indian Expresspublished from Chandigarh was an imitation of its Delhi counterpart. Only its second page had classified advertisements collected from the traders of Chandigarh. There was a difference in the motives of Ramnath Goenka, the Newspaper Baron, and the people who belonged to The Tribune Trust, for them profit was of secondary importance.

After leaving Chandigarh in 1978, I have not gone there, but my friends say that The Tribune is growing from strength to strength. A great newspaper from a great organization !

The Tribune