Readability:

Story:

My experience with "The Alchemist"
Oct 26, 2007 05:11 AM 2287 Views
(Updated Oct 26, 2007 10:15 AM)

Readability:

Story:

I had gone to visit a friend's place where she handed me "The Alchemist", I thought i'll read it just a few pages now and later complete it at home, but once I started reading it I couldn't stop and ended up finishing it that afternoon itself. Not that I was time-pressed or had lot of time in hand, but i just didn't expected it to be so good.

First of all, I actually knew one person who used to call himself an Alchemist.  When I first came to know of it, I was baffled then he made me understand that alchemy does not mean mixing different metals to discover gold, but it actually meant slowly getting rid of all the impurities in one's character and reaching that pure Gold state where you are one with the Divine. All glittering, all Gold.

Anyways to come back to the book's review...so I had this faint idea that it was something todo with us, the humans, refinement rather than mere chemistry of finding gold.  It is a really good book but by the time it was released and read by me, I, more or less, already had the wisdom or awareness that Santiago's story was offering.

But there were two points from the book that I did took home...one is related to the part where Santiago starts to work in the crystal shop and how because of his openness for possibilities, so many changes take place and the little known, non-profitable shop transforms and becomes a hit.  Every book that I read I want it to give me something which I can imbibe in my life. This is the major point that The Alchemist gave me. After that afternoon of reading it I found out that in every situation in my life there were always possibliites galore.  I just had to start somewhere and the road would always start to build.

The other lighter point that I took from The Alchemist was that when I blow kiss in the air to a loved one, it actually reaches him/her.

Happy reading to you!!