Picture & Sound Quality:

Starting trouble but its all OK now
Sep 29, 2006 07:46 PM 4828 Views
(Updated Sep 29, 2006 09:01 PM)

Picture & Sound Quality:

Chennai's story shows the pros and cons of CAS. Most of the Regional channels became free to ensure they retained their audience but we lost out on the non-regional channels pretty bad.

With DTH its a great chance to get rid of the irritating cable goons from SCV/Hathway (yeah I know they dont do the last mile -but the industry has an attitude problem which comes with monopoly)

There was a lot of trouble getting the TATA SKY folks to schedule an early installation - they must be woefully under staffed in Chennai because I read others got it done the same day. Anyway, mine took almost4 days to get going. What was exasperating was that the call center in Hyderabad is just an inbound call center which forwards call updates to technical team in each region. THey are not able to provide a clear update on anything. The first few levels cant call up the regional team either - it was horrible to call each day and repeat the same story again and again. In my experience, call centers which cant dial out and co-ordinate serve no purpose - Airtel is excellent in this regard.

In any case, the installation could not be rescheduled to any time earlier. But after they did the installation, I have had no reason to complain. The process was smooth, the picture quality is spectacular. And as promised CNN/HBO are online now as well. My only suspicion is the quality of these 2 channels is not as great as the rest. Maybe teething troubles?

On the whole - I would recommend moving on to Tata Sky. Hope they get their staffing right in Chennai soon. Though I dont care much for them, Tamil Channels are few - this will be a major deterent as far as Chennai is concerned - I know they are adding channels - but with most of these channels being FTA, I cant understand why its difficult to get them going.

If CAS and this gains momentum, I am sure most of the Channels will go FTA since only a few of them can be dead sure that we will subscribe to them. Chennai suffered because it was a minority, but the combined strength of all the metros would be too much for the broadcasters to risk.

Tata Sky