Internet Speed:

Broadband nightmare - Tata Indicom
Jun 02, 2008 07:53 PM 1216 Views

Internet Speed:

Connection Reliability:

After I took the garbage that they call a broadband internet connection (256 KPBS, unlimited plan, wired line), everything was ok for a week or so. After that period, the connection kept going down once or twice EVERY week. Calls to customer support was of course greeted with "I am sorry about the inconvenience, sir ......." (REALLY??!!).

Sometimes the connection would be up. Sometimes it wouldn't. And this particular time, the down- time lasted for a week. Its still not restored.

The same charade would be repeated ad nauseum:

"Can I take some time to check whether you have gone thru the basic troubleshooting, sir?"

"Tell me the status of lines on your router, sir."

"Sir, have you turned off the cookies on your system? "

"open the command prompt and ping the gateway, sir. Is there any response?"

.... and the coup de grace:

"Try again and check if the internet is back, sir?"

No, sister.

"Duh!!"

You are then given a 6-digit number, ostensibly to track your complaint and to comfort you into thinking someone incredibly knowledgeable network engineer is resolving the issue.

You poor thing.

Heres roughly what happens when you try to call up the call center again - I think located in Hyderabad.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, sir....."

You interrupt: I have been through this farce already, can you go ahead and let me know the status of the complaint?

"I will escalate it to the supervisor, sir, we will address it as soon as soon as possible."

After going through the above steps for about 2 - 3 days, you feel a un-godly, black rage seething inside you. You finally manage to get a number in Bangalore the owner of which is a "local account manager" ... or some such drivel. You hear a soothing, calm voice telling you he would get back to you with a status in about 30 minutes.

Well, guess what. Its been 300 hours since you heard from him. Should you be surprised or what? If you are stupid enough to call and find out why he had not called back ... .. well, you probably guessed it by now - there is either no response on the other end or he cuts you off.

And then, surprise .... an engineer suddenly lands up at your place one day and has the temerity to suggest since I have a problem with my wired line, why should I not upgrade to WiMax, all installation charges waived off?

Wow.

It means that they know that thier service is awful. They are actually admitting it, the worms.

For every sucker that is born on this earth, there are a thousand cheats. I took the cursed WiMax, hook line and sinker. (Dont ask me why - maybe I was tired, maybe the constant phone calls messed up the  wiring in my brain or my helpless, numbed attitude did me in - I dont know). A grumpy engineer with his sidekick came along and did "half-the-job" and left saying I have to do the rest myself.

Whooopeeee!!!

I deserved it, I guess.

And hey, I am not done yet. I just got an email informing me to please pay up the monthly charges asap or my service would be disconnected.

Here is a Zen riddle. Can you disconnect something that is not connected?

When you are pondering the answer to that question, I am doing some R&D on how to bugger them the way they have been buggering me for the past couple of months.

Anyone know how to go about sending a notice to them through consumer court? Or anyone willing to spend some of thier extra time in battling these cretins?

Tata Indicom - Surf 3000