Plot:

Music:

Cinematography:

I'm A Little Impressed
Jul 11, 2004 09:40 AM 2201 Views
(Updated Jul 11, 2004 09:40 AM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

For the third time, I'm the first to write on a category. That makes me a pioneering fellow. ''DUKAAAAAR''! Well that doesn't. That just stinks. Anyways, read on. I haven't left any of those in the review, promise you! I haven't touched coke while writing. And yeah, if this don't make any sense, please refer :: The Dukaaar! Monologues Part 1::

Mice. Those pesky, irritating creatures. Whenever I see them run around the house, scurrying away from light and people, I get terribly irritated. I haven't hated a household pest as much as I've hated rodents! I have a reason actually. When I was six years old, I had this stuffed Tweet Bird (the ''I taut I taw a putty cat'' wallah) and I used to cuddle it and play with it like it was my younger brother. So when one fine evening, when I ambled into bed and swung my arm round it, to be kissed by a thing that had a wet nose and a horrible smell- which turned out to be a mouse- it wasn't exactly my favourite Tweety-bird moment. Of course it was the most memorable of them.

When I had to take my kid sisters out to watch this movie, I was pretty much sure I wasn't going to like the movie one bit. I had hated mice of all forms. Even Jerry Mouse in the Fred Quimby cartoon. So it was obvious, to everyone who knew me, how much I was sacrificing for my little sisters. To preserve this emotion in the house, I gallantly agreed to treat them to the movie and a dinner- that was a consolation for me, actually.

On my return, however, I was in a different mood. And whenever my mood changes suddenly from flip to flop, I end up writing something. So this is the product of the mood transformation that occurred that evening.

Stuart Little 1- the review

What makes a good movie? The answer is the following: a proper blend of a good plot, good cast, proper scriptwriting, appropriate special effects and (if necessary at all) just the right amount of sex makes a good movie. The ''sex'' part can of course be done away with sometimes.

As far as Stuart Little is concerned, let us see if it's facets sum up to being a good movie or not.

Stuart Little- the plot

Stuart Little, to state plainly, is just another American-familly-culture soppy movie. I mean, if you have watched serials like Full House before, you'll know what I'm talking about. Of course, Stuart Little does contain a lot of abnormal content also. That is what makes the story a plot. Otherwise, it's just another drama.

You see, Stuart Little himself is a mouse. Yes, a nasty, pesky rodent. He was brought up in an orphanage (where surprisingly so were a few human kids). He is adopted by Mr and Mrs Little who are themselves human. And they have a human son too. It's a story about a human family of three and Stuart the Mouse along with Snowbell, the family cat. An odd combination, eh?

It starts with the problems most adoptive parents face- I mean the problem of their own kids not accepting the adopted kids too well. I would justify the human kid in this case since the adopted kid was a mouse (for reasons, please read opening paragraph of this review). Then it goes on to the battle of wits and muscle between Snowbell and the mouse.

As far as the plot is concerned, it isn't anything outstanding. It contains a huge amount of the family-talk thing and the conversations that end in ''that's what families are for, son!''. So it does get on your nerves. (Though most of us Indians have very powerful familial ties and roots, we never make a big issue out of it, because it comes naturally to us to live in a family. It doesn't for these Americans because they have very quickly breaking families, so that's why every one of their family programme gets so soppy). I suppose you don't completely disagree with me about this.

I did not think that the plot of Stuart Little was anything outstanding. Though if anybody likes this movie for it's plot, I would not be surprised. It is funny for those who don't have a hatred for rodents to see human adopt them, hunt the whole town crazy for a rodent and then feel really elated and on cloud nine squared to have him back. To me, having a mouse within fifty feet is uh-oh time. I hate everything about mice!

Stuart Little- it's special effects

Now this is where I was impressed. I have to give it to you, I don't watch too many movies so I don't have a well informed opinion about special effects. But I liked them here. Stuart is a computer-generated mouse. The idea itself is very interesting (yeah I think you had a character of that kind in KMG too).

Stuart is generated but he doesn't look it. He looks more like a live mouse being manipulated digitally. I mean, the way the character of Snowbell was made. They took a cat, had him do his action and then played around with the mouth to make expressions and impressions about him talking. Stuart looks just like a live mouse played around with while I'm sure he's not. So I guess that is a reason for me to like it.

In addition, there are two other rats that come into the story. They are rodent con artists actually. Even they seem like Stuart- real but not real.

Cool stuff here!

Stuart Little- why I liked it

Just because a movie has good special effects doesn't make me like it. I did not like Terminator 1 or 2, for example. I did not watch the third. So telling you the movie has good special effects isn't going to do much at all. The reason I liked this movie is the following:

After I watched this movie, as I was coming out of the theatre, I saw a manhole. It had a cover on top of it (which is rare in this city) so I walked from pretty close to it. And as I was just beside it, it happened. A dirty black rodent squealed and ran over my feet and began circling me like crazy. Normally, I would have passed out. But…

I did not. In fact, I sincerely and spontaneously hoped I hadn't hurt him. Which is a big deal for me. I normally would love to kill as many mice as I can at one go.

So I suppose watching this movie brought an end to my unwarrantable hatred for a poor little PEST called the ''rodent''. I still hate them, but I hate them just like I hate cockroaches. If I see one, I don't pass out. I ''take care'' of it. Things could be different if one of them turns up in my dinner plate or something. But let's hope for the best.

So I suppose I have a good reason to like the movie. Just thought I'd let you know.

As An Afterthought

May be mice aren't so bad after all. Wait a minute….

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! There is a mouse beside my keyboard!

phew

Obviously there is. Good it is!

Stuart Little -Hollywood Movie