Acting:

Mass Appeal:

Bangalore India
Interesting Watch
Feb 04, 2019 12:05 AM 1244 Views
(Updated Feb 06, 2019 01:34 AM)

Acting:

Plot:

Mass Appeal:

I completed seeing this TV serial a month ago, so I thought I'd write something about it as it was a bit different and certainly warrants some comment. What drew me was the topic. I'm not familiar with his stories, but am aware of his appeal to the masses. The thought of that being adapted to a Hindi TV serial was definitely intriguing. So, I gave this a shot.

CAST - I think the cast is very varied, so I'm going to save you the trouble of going through the huge list. If I remember correctly, probably neither of them star in more than 3 out of the total of 26 episodes. Radhika Apte, who stars in the 2 foremost episodes, is probably the most notable of them although I may have seen some others elsewhere too.

THE ESSENTIAL PLOTS

I read somewhere that it is mostly supposed to be a depiction of strong women in different scenarios dealing with their lives. Considering the setting of many of his stories is old, perhaps that is partly believable.

But my opinion is that not all of the stories necessarily were. The stories seemed to be more about depicting human feelings and relationships from many different angles and contexts over a wide gamut.

It had many kinds - extramarital affairs, stories of loyalty, trust, betrayal, abandonment, tragedy, greed, ghost stories and several others. I personally felt many of them dealt with some confusion in the lives of married / unmarried partners.

THINGS TO NOTE:

1] DETAILS: There are 20 different stories narrated over 26 episodes. I believe the serial was first aired in 2015.

2] DEPICTION: Being completely unfamiliar with Tagore's work and only knowing about his reputation, I found the stories to be interesting and the depiction in the episodes was very well paced. Nothing dragged and it was quite happening.

3] QUITE ERROR-FREE: I think there were no glaring mistakes as such. Only weird thing which seemed perhaps unintentional was that some girl was referred to as "Shonamuni" throughout the episode as if it was her name, in one of the earlier episodes.

Since "Shonamuni" is generally a temporary nickname sometimes employed in Bengali for a person who is doted upon, I doubt it is intentional. But then, I haven't read his stories to know that for a fact. But the reference came across as "odd".

4] MOST MEMORABLE ASPECTS: It does a good job of delineating different kind of disparate stories. In that way, it was quite different from other serials.

I think it had some 2-3 creepy stories too. I thought episode 21, "Konkal", was quite interesting. A person visiting some premises is made to stay in room 21. Several creepy things have been associated with the room before, including human deaths. While the person staying over sleeps, a skeleton found in there comes to life in the form of a gorgeous woman and tells him her story.

5] MOST ANNOYING ASPECT: I think most annoying aspect was that many of the stories take a turn for the worse and eventually lead to some tragedy, although not always for all involved.

Other thing is many of the stories depicted here seem to have an exaggerated focus on some confusion in romantic relationships.

For e.g. some already married person has suddenly developed some liking towards a widow while another person is interested in his wife. Some married guy is interested in his brother's wife etc., another person keeps oscillating between marrying different brides, another goes to marry someone and gets interested in someone else and so on.

Not sure why there was a need to focus on such so much as while it did depict a different kind of relationship, it also made the existing relationship appear stultified in doing so in some cases, perhaps. In other cases, it was sort of entertaining.

6] SCORING: The scoring is adequate for the individual episodes, although perhaps not great. It didn't need to be, in my opinion.

7] ACTING PERFORMANCES: The acting performances are in general, good. But singling out performances would be difficult. Most of them perform their role pretty adequately.

8] DIRECTION: The direction was also adequate by Anurag Basu on majority of the occasions with small pluses and minuses here and there.

All in all, an interesting watch in terms of the work that was meant to be represented, I think. In terms of achieving what this wanted to achieve, I would give it a 9 / 10. If you want to do an exploratory scrutiny on different kinds of possible relationships through a work of art, this would be an apt one.

Stories By Rabindranath Tagore