Accessibility:

Local Sightseeing:

Hotels / Accommodation:

Safety:

Sri lanka - Kandy - Nuwara Eliya
Feb 13, 2014 01:25 PM 7595 Views (via Android App)
(Updated Aug 12, 2019 10:55 PM)

Accessibility:

Local Sightseeing:

Hotels / Accommodation:

Safety:

My tour began End January to 1st week Feb 2014 .I booked my tour with Travel Triangle 3Nights 4Days Tour. My friend has his very own cottage at Huluagoda in Mount Lavinia. Having done my Travel course in Basic Airfares and worked with Wipros GSA for Delta Airlines gave me the opportunity to plan my entire itinerary and Trip to Sri Lanka.

I planned my own itinerary alongwith my friend. Our trip started with Amith Tours thru Travel Triangle. A private vehicle with a driver by name of Nilantha escorted us towards the Air-conditioned car I settled at the back while my friend sat in the front.I was tired and had not slept properly as the taxi driver from the airport picked me up very late I hadn't slept a wink and by late afternoon we were to travel to Kandy.

Our first trip on our way to Kandy was the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage. It was 0pened in the year 1975. Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is an orphanage, nursery and captive breeding ground for wild Asian elephants located at Pinnawala village, 13 km northeast of Kegalle town in Sabaragamuwa Province of Sri Lanka. Pinnawala has the largest herd of captive elephants in the world.

I watched the herd being taken to the river to bathe young and old, I got a chance to touch a young elephant baby calf. It was so exciting ro be near these huge and gentle animals.

It was 2Days 1 night stay at Kandy. I finally managed to get a nights rest. The following day we explored the town of Kandy and its market with lots of variety of fruits and vegetables met a vendor from Chennai who had his business of fruits and vegetables. I bought a lot of fruits and enjoyed every moment in Kandy,

We also visited the PERADENIYA GARDENS. KANDY as a  whole has its beautiful and historic moments to see. The beautiful Kandy lake and the winding roads which lead to a group of small hotels. We stayed at Hotel Tropicana with complimentary breakfast. Pictures of the Kandy Lake.

The next 2 days were in Nuwara Eliya and being a hill station and that too in the Month of February, it was pretty chilly. We were invited to a Tea taste. Woke up at 4: 00am and drove 5000 metres above Sea Level to Pedro Tea Estate, about 3.5km east of Nuwara Eliya on the way to Kandapola. Originally built in 1885 and still packed with 19th-century engineering, run for a half-hour. The type of tea processed here( a very light tea) , processing only takes place at night when it’s colder and you’re unlikely to see much slicing and drying action taking place. It was very cold around 13 degrees, chilly breeze and a bit of rain. We were lucky as the owner was a friend of my friend and we were given to the tea tasting. Not every one would understand what to do. Well, instead of swirling it in  the mouth and spitting it out I took a tsp of it and swallowed it.it was so funny ; D

The idea of tea tasting is to just  make sum slurping sounds as if one is enjoying it. but the actual fact is to try and find out the different brands made from the tea leaves plucked.

Nuwara Elliya, is a beautiful Hill Country side adventure lots to do.

The Hakgala Gardens is another sight to see if you are a tree lover. A greenhouse situated  in the gardens with varieities of ORCHID flowers, cactus, and much more. A MUST VISIT and then went after to Nuwara Elliya and stayed at the beautiful 3 star hotel over looking  an acre or two with their own land home  grown with vegetables.    Leeks are grown in plenty.lots of vegetables and fruits along the way the tasty passion fruit - and orange fruit with a slimey green seeds and sweet. to be slurped up in one go.Fruits are expensive in Kandy Markerts as well in Nuwara Elliya.

OVERALL the food was cheap. standard'FRIED RICE'is easier and faster.

The authentic    curry rice - not my cup of Tea one was  at Tea Fortress - Kandy - MLESNA TEA  and the BUNGALOW - KITTUGALA, WHITE WATER RAFTING.SRI LANKA - THE PEOPLE OF SRI LANKA -    FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS AND GOOD HOSPITALITY.

Sri Lanka - General