For Business

Aug 02, 2001 01:45 PM 6199 Views

Ease of use:

Features/Functions:

Help & Support:

For a name like ''Dual Shock'' you would expect these controllers to take a fair hammering wouldn't you? Well they dont, believe me.

When I first got my Playstation, Dual Shock was making its appearance onto the market.

But what was this new technology?

Well, it was built as the 1st generation of new ''Virtual Gaming'' environment.

It was built to stimulate a new sense that had never before been captured.

Players could now ''feel'' their games. Being shot, Crashing cars, being punched, through the vibrating controller.

It works by having a unequal weight in the handle of the controller, vibrating backwards and forwards. the output from the game to the controller allows the game pad to give a new level of interaction between the player and the console.

It also has a facility to act as a analogue controller. Players can press a button that activates the small ''thumb'' joysticks to play Driving games and Shoot em ups. It gives a higher level of fine control.

I recieved one controller free with my Playstation but had to buy a matching one for 2 player games.

At £20, it was expensive, particularly when the cheaper, non Sony controllers were on sale for as little as £5.

I went for an Official Sony Dual Shock controller for 2 reasons.

1) It matched my other controller.

2) Being Sony, I could rest assured that it would last and last.

I was wrong.

After 6 months, the connection with the playstation became worn. The cabling had obviously become damamged and it was tempramental when starting the console or playing games.

Sometimes I would boot up the console, only to find it could not see one of the controllers, despite it being plugged in.

So it just goes to show you. Even proper Sony ones are unreliable.

Sony Playstation 1