Readability:

Who is Johnny Lim
Jun 22, 2006 01:14 PM 1151 Views

Readability:

Story:

The story begin with an account of Johnny Lim through the eyes of his estranged son ... the image that is created of this anti-hero is dark foreboding and bordering on self indulgence according to whim. The son takes you through what he has pieced together of his father' past and somewhat the bitter bile of their relationship is clearly understood by the reader. The son makes no attempts at romanticising his father's atrocities In part 2 of the book, again another perspective of Johnny Lim - this time through the eyes of the woman he married and who succumbs at childbirth leaving him to raise his son on his own in his own idea of parenting. Thru Snow's eyes we learn of another Johnny - a somewhat lacking in confidence or dreamer ... he is a man always aspiring to be better and yet seemingly a failure to himself. Peter is eccentric White Man friend completes the Johnny Lim story in part 3 and almost all too suddenly the story ends. I remember only feeling a sadness in my heart for Johnny Lim who in his own right was a hero and anti hero a man ahead of his times and although feared was a loner till the end of his days. I would suggest reading Tash Aw and I am looking forward to his next book.

Silk Harmony Factory, The - Tash Aw