Siemens

Bangalore India
The smart business phone
Oct 26, 2005 04:32 PM 3336 Views
(Updated Oct 26, 2005 04:32 PM)

After a year of anticipation, I finally got one of my friends to buy the S65 from US, for me. A month and a half later, I had the phone and a 512 MB RSMMC card in my hand.

First Impressions:

Nice Black Phone

Round Two:

I had the manual, phone, battery, cdrom, memory card, charger laid out in front of me. Go t my SIM from the old C55 <WEEP>, inserted the SIM, shut the battery cover, and switched the phone on.

Appraisals:

1. The 132x176 screen is large, larger than regular phones, but some competitors have bigger screens.

2. 65K colors, though I keep wanting more everytime.

3. Joystick is nice, but is unresponsive sometimes and snubs me when I am off my guard.

4. Menu options same as other siemens phones.

5. Bluetooth, IrDA, GPRS, CSD, the works...all worked nicely. Can't enable Bluetooth and IrDA at the same time. Sony Ericsson supports that.

6. Memory card fit in nicely, and had no problems accessing it either. Memory slot cover was kinda flimsy, felt it would break easily, though I am not gonna open again.

7. Keys will take some time getting used to, and I felt my right hand handled them better than my left.

8. Enabling WAP and MMS proved to be kinda confusing, and I bugged the airtel guys a lot. Their wap push settings work better than the data settings they send through SMS.

9. Camera quality was good in the day, but the night shots were miserable. I liked the wallpaper mode of shooting so I could take photos and associate them with my contacts.

10. upto 1000 entries in the address book, with 22 fields. I can set birthday reminders by entering the birthdate, address, landline, mobile in separate fields plus a whole load of other features.

11. I missed the voice dialling and voice command features sorely.

12. Supports java applications and u can find plenty of them on the internet. I downloaded a lot of games and applications and my phone keeps me entertained during travel.

13. Organizer was neat and had useful features like notes, tasks, dictating machine, calendar for appointments. Did not try the sync feature yet.

14. I could turn down the volume of the earphone if the other side had a blaring sound, a very convenient feature that spared my ear many times.

15. Ringtone formats supported were 40 chord polyphonic, truetones in wav and amr format. I've got some cool tamil tunes as my ringtone. However, I wish I could set one ringtone per contact instead of one ringtone per group.

16. Battery life is ok, and improves when I set my screensaver to energy saving mode.

17. Browser caused my phone to crash quite a lot of times, maybe a glitch in the firmware. Haven't updated the firmware yet.

18. No USB port, and the power socket doubles up for the data cable too.

19. Has theme support and I can create my own themes using a PC and transfer them to my phone using bluetooth / IrDA.

Final words:

Well, I liked the features and the looks, but the firmware glitches, joystick, and a couple of nitpicks have left me wanting more, and was hoping that they would make improvements in the firmware, but with benq taking over siemens mobile, I hope they don't discard these phones anytime soon.

Write a Review on Siemens S65