Plot:

Cinematography:

someplace India
In the midst of War!
Jan 18, 2013 02:39 PM 2802 Views
(Updated Jan 24, 2013 10:51 AM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

I was searching for a new novel to order as my recently ordered ‘Mafia Queens of Mumbai’ written by S.Hussain Zaidi is about to complete (less than 100 pages remain), and right now I am feeling to read a war novel (my taste frequently changes, infact I can’t repeat same kind of novels, there must be some gap in between, though once I read 4-5 Indian love story novels, that was a mistake which I will try not to repeat again!), so just going through Wikipedia, and other related sites, just then I remembered this movie, which was a war-movie, and I have seen it long back, so I thought why not to share the review on it. The movie’s name is ‘Saving Private Ryan’ and it is directed by the talented extraordinary director Steven Spielberg, and I am sure many of you have either seen this movie or knew it by name.

The story is set in the event of ‘Invasion of Normandy’ during World War 2. The American soldiers landed on Omaha beach to remove the German control, and the company which survives is headed by Capt.John H.Miller (Tom Hanks). Just then General George Marshall (Harve Presnell) got the news that 3 of the 4 Ryan brothers (all are soldiers) are dead, leaving only 1 – Private First Class James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon) a paratrooper and he is fighting somewhere in Normandy. The order were issued to Capt.Miller to form a team and their primary goal is to locate the remaining Ryan, save him and extract him from the war safely and send him back home, since it’s the US military’s rules. Capt.Miller forms a team of 7 men (excluding himself) for the mission – Tech Sergeant Mike Horvath (Tom Sizemore), Private Stanley Mellish (Adam Goldberg), Private First Class Richard Reiben (Edward Burns), Private Daniel Jackson (Barry Pepper), Medic Irwin Wade (Giovanni Ribisi), Private First Class Adrian Caparzo (Vin Diesel) and cartographer Timothy Upham (Jeremy Davies). And then started the actual war for the party, they not only have to enter the war centre battlefield, but they have to bring back one man safe.

The story was top-class, I was searching whether it’s based on any novel, as I was eager to read this one as a novel, but it was infact written by Robert Rodat for the film, who inspired after seeing a monument in 1994 which was dedicated to 8 siblings who killed in American Cicil War. The screenplay was just perfect, and the settings too real, everything just giving feels of real war, that was the effect of any movie which Steven Spielberg directed. The perfect actions, dialogues, setting, photography, sets, equipments, everything was perfect. Performances were top-notch, mainly if we say about the lead actor Tom Hanks, and then Matt Damon, both were worth mentioning, and well, the movie was star-studded. Background score was well suited (John Williams). Cinematography was real and top-class, recreating the environment of war (Janusz Kaminski). The movie was released in 1998, and its length is around 2 hrs 45 min, long for an English movie but not a moment of boringness, and you will watch it in one go. It received a rating of 93% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The movie was nominated for 11 oscar awards and won 5 of them, and it won many other awards as well.

The movie is a brilliantly made, and a must watch, and it was of the same intensity and effects as compare to other great war movie ‘Black Hawk Down’ whose central theme (Rescue) was same. Some movies are made classic, and it could be counted one in the list, my take 5/5.

GRuchirG.