Plot:

Music:

Cinematography:

Laughter raised to 7
Sep 24, 2002 11:27 AM 5279 Views
(Updated Sep 24, 2002 11:33 AM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Some of the most difficult days of my life were seen in the beginning of the 1980s. I had to adjust to the life of a child from a scattered family. In all fairness, though, I had my elder brother near me. Dadu, as I called him, tried his best to help me cope with the situation. I used to walk to school, which was one of the things I hated....I was always lazy! Dadu used to accompany me, and used to tell me stories on the way, so that I do not realize how we cut the distance. In the course of these stories, I was introduced to Satte pe Satta.

It was almost two years later that I actually saw the film.

THE PLOT

The plot of Satte pe Satta is taken from the classic Seven Brides for seven brothers. Coming from the Sippy camp, this comedy is the story of seven brothers who are miles away from the civilized society. Named after the names of the weekdays, these brothers live a carefree life. The eldest among them is Ravi(Amitabh Bacchan), who is the captain of the ship. The brothers have a farm and earn a livelihood by various methods. Like cutting wood and selling in the city, training horses etc. They buy their groceries from a nearby city. It is on one such buying trip that Ravi finds one of his friends in the obvious place where a jilted lover is found- a bar! Ravi sets things right in his own rugged fashion, but in the process, ends up being bitten by the love bug when he meets Indu(Hema Malini). His decision to marry Indu and bring her home is bad news for his brothers. But Ravi shows them the flip side, which means good well cooked food, a woman to clean the house etc. Learning this, the brothers too support Ravi. When Indu enters the house, she is horrified at the lifestyle of her brothers-in-law. But soon, she sets things right by teaching them some civilized manners. But......that thing called Love has a way of it's own. And this time the love bug bites the other six brothers! True to their half wittedness, they kidnap their girls and bring them home. However, Indu intervenes and brings order in chaos.

In the dark of the night, the brothers have made a blunder by bringing in a seventh girl, who is a cripple hieress of a huge fortune. And by bringing her, they have foiled the plans of her villainous uncle who wants to kill her for her wealth.

On one of his usual trips to the city, Ravi drops in on the uncle to collect some medicines for the girl. That is when the uncle is stunned by the face of Ravi....which is identical to the face of his hitman Babu. Ravi is detained, and Babu takes his place in order to reach the girl he has to murder.

What happens then? Does Babu succeed? What happens to Ravi? Can his brothers save him? All this constitutes the rest of the film.

THE PERFORMANCES

Amitabh Bacchan is top class as usual! But what is more heartening is the performance of all the other six brothers. Sudhir, Shakti Kapoor, Paintal, Kanwaljeet and Sachin, everyone has given a super performance. (Ooops! I forgot the name of the person who played the character of Shukra!)

Hema Malini suits the role to a tee. She is just too good.

Ranjeeta as the cripple millionaire does a good job.

Amjad Khan is his normal self.

THE CREDITS

Released in 1982, this film was produced by Romu Sippy and directed by Raj Sippy. The direction is nice.

The story was by Jyoti Swaroop who also did the screenplay, alongwith Satish Bhatnagar.

Cinematography by Anwar Siraj is okay.

The film has five songs, all penned by lyricist Gulshan Bawra.

THE MUSIC

The music of this film commands a special mention. It is bound to appeal you. This melodious musical score was done by my idol R.D.Burman. The songs are fabulous, but more than that, I would like to draw your attention to the exceptional background music.

Listen carefully to the background music when the darker version of Amitabh- Babu, appears! Any idea how that effect was created? Well, R.D.Burman made singer Annett drink water and actually gargle in tune! That gargling voice with some eerie sound effects made a background item that ruled the Indian film scenario in many other films after Satte pe satta.

One more thing that strikes you is the use of the harmonica. It was superb!

The song Jindagi milke beetaayenge was adapted from the theme of the hollywood classic The Longest Day.

ONE SMALL DRAWBACK

The film seemed to lose its grip in the latter half. Maybe I was too used to the farm life!

IN CONCLUSION

The film opens with a narration. A voice introduces us to the seven brothers and their lifestyle. Even today, when I see this film, that voice reminds me of one more voice! The voice of my Dadu.

Today, whenever I am facing a challenge, I just close my eyes and travel back in time....back to the early eighties! Those times indeed make me realize that hard roads can be traversed if you have a story accompanying you!

Satte pe Satta was one such story!

Write a Review on Satte Pe Satta