Video Quality:

Sound Effect:

Sansui

Black White se Colour ;And DD1 se Cable Tak
May 27, 2008 12:44 PM 4854 Views
(Updated May 27, 2008 12:50 PM)

Video Quality:

Sound Effect:

Stumbling the different categories in MS, I came accross a category  that brought back some memories to me. It was TV brands>Sansui SV2102.I had a TV in my home ever since my childhood days. Ramayana, Mahabharata, Chitrahaar, Mungerilal ke Haseen Sapne, Hum Log, Neem Ke Ped, etc were some of the programs the whole family used to watch together.The feature film to be  broadcasted on Sunday 5.30 p.m always used to be a suspense. We eagerly wait for the announcement by the monotonous anchor who said something like this

"Aaj Hum Apko Dikhane Ja Rahe Hain Hindi Feature Fim ....; Iske mukhya kalakaar hain ...". The madhyantar part was too good and the whole film has one single break. And beech beech mein "Rukhavat ke liye khed hai" made everybody tear their TV screens.

Those were the days when only DD1 was there and that too we have to install a 50 ft antenna to catch the signals as there was no native DD1 station in my city. So, signals have to be taken via Delhi station.Rain storms were the worst enemy to be faced by these antennas.They used to bent down, break and cause havoc for us as well as neighbors. That was the era of 1980s and early 90s.

Those days we had a 21" black and white Jolly TV with us. This was considered a luxury those days and a few lucky souls do manage to have a TV at their home.These all DD1 memories are associated with this TV.TV Technology wasn't that advanced in India that time and the only TV brands that were there were names like Jolly, Texla, etc.There were quite a few other brands too that I don't remember. Onida, Videocon, Oscar, Beltek  etc were also making their inroads at that time.

Then came the late 90s. The country was high with cable mania. Everybody was going gaga over the new channels and variety of programs offered on those channels. Pirated latest movies shown by Cable TV Operators were an all time hit. Still our family was trying to evade the new wave because of the education of me and my sister. And we were stuck to the same old Jolly TV and DD1.

Time went by smoothly and I got selected in Engineering. My sister also passed her board examinations. After a lot of persuasion and rona dhona drama, we finally convinced our parents to get cable installed.

We were so happy.But a new problem crept along with the joy. Jolly TV has only 12 stations capacity. And cable was offering 40 channels. We don't wanna miss those. Again the same rona dhona and we managed to get our parents buy a new colour TV.

I took this responsibility to choose which brand to go for. I remember cutting the newpaper advertisements for the different TVs and comparing them. MS was not there those days and we used to resort to print media for any sort of comparisons.

After a lot of research and user opinions, I decided to go for Sansui SV2102. It was a 21" Full Square Flat CRT TV. Two colur options were given; one Regular Black and the other one was Champagne colured which was our choice. Also due to the presence of Akai and Aiwa which were offering schemes like 21" ke saath 14" TV free, etc, all the manufacturers were offering one scheme or other. Sansui was offering some scratch scheme at that time. We got a Sansui Cassette Player which was a cute piece. Most other TVs were 53 cms wide diagonally and this one was 54 cms diagonally. Colour reproduction was good with one standard setting. Two manual settings for storing were given. Same was the case with sound. And all the regular features were there. The things which I missed were the Swap function which was absent. The auto search was slow.Also there is a lack of universal volume setting accross all channels.

This TV set is serving my family for past 10 years or so and it is still running good. Channel tuner went kaput one time but luckily it was in the warranty period. So it was replaced free of cost. I recently bought a Sony Wega. And I found little difference between my Sansui TV of yesteryear and the new Sony except sound. But one can add additional speakers for better sound. So no big deal. There may be differences in purists eyes but for a normal eye the picture quality of both the TVs is nearly same. Moreover it highly depends on the cable connection. Dish TV and Tata Sky make local TVs producing excellent colours.

To me this as well as my good old Jolly TV are momentos of my past. And do you believe me, even my old Jolly TV is in repairable condition. But who would like to go into reverse gears.Do you?

Sansui-ClubClass - SV2102