Prem Court, JT Road, Churchgate, Mumbai 400020, MH

+91-22-42135401, +91-22-33956139

Samrat Restaurant: King of Gujarati thali
Apr 17, 2015 10:10 AM 6964 Views

I visited Samrat Restaurant with 2 of my friends on a lazy Sunday afternoon. One of them had already visited it in past with his family so he recommended that even we try it.

We ordered their famous Gujarati unlimited thali for lunch. Now it was really unlimited. We could not even finish the first serving entirely. Let me break down my experience for you:

Ambience: It was nice and easy. I think they had converted a hall into a lunch room. We visited it at the beginning of lunch hours so it was empty when we started but suddenly it was filled with families and large groups.

Decor: Minimal but clean and cosy. It was air-conditioned so that was a relief in Mumbai summer.

Service: The servers were nice and prompt. They made sure that all the dishes were served quickly and while they were still hot. But they were so busy with their schedule that we had to ask multiple times for our butter milk glasses(small sized) to be refilled.

And they talked in hushed tone and that meant we had no idea what they were saying.

Taste: Some of the components in the thali were very nice and provided authentic Gujarati flavors. Now am not a Gujarati so I cannot judge each of the dishes, in fact I had never eaten some of them before. So whatever I ate, I liked. The dhokla and kachori were amazing.

Value for money: By the end of it, we could not eat anymore. the cost of thali was totally worth it.

Recommendation: Visit it if you are going in big groups or with hungry group of friends. Not ideal for a dates or if you want privacy when you eat as you will be surrounded by families and uncles and aunties.

Samrat Restaurant - Churchgate - Mumbai