Would Like to Send You Push Notifications. Notification may includes alerts, activities & updates.

OTP Verification

Enter 4-digit code
For Business
MouthShut Logo

MouthShut Score



Medical Care:

Staff Attitude:

52/2 & 52/3, Near Passport Office, Devarabeesanahalli Flyover, Kariyammana Agrahara, Bellandur, Outer Ring Road, Marathahalli, Bengaluru 560037, KA


I feel this review is:


To justify genuineness of your review kindly attach purchase proof
No File Selected

Angioplasty gone horribly wrong and lead to death
Jul 02, 2022 02:58 PM 1505 Views


Medical Care:

Staff Attitude:

Admitted my father, a 70 year old CAD patient but generally healthy and asymptomatic, for Angioplasty on 25th May under Sreekanth Shetty. We received him dead on 5th June, 2022(after paying nearly 13.8 lakhs). No history of stroke, blood pressure, severe angina or cardiac arrest before he was admitted.

Earlier, a month before, in my native in Andhra Pradesh, in a preemptive checkup, we found that his ECG is slightly abnormal. Considering his age, and history of diabetes, angiogram was done which revealed CAD with triple vessel disease. Bypass or angioplasty is advised at the earliest. We ruled out bypass as surgeons declared a risk of 15% because of his underweight. After talking to several doctors, we decided to have an angioplasty done to prevent impending stroke.

I promised my father best medical attention and convinced him to come along with me to Bangalore. After meeting several doctors, I finalised on Shreekanth Shetty. He promised that there would be no risk and advised 2 stents. I gave a free hand to him in expenses and angio techniques he wanted to use. In the presence of Shreekanth Shetty, I assured my father that he is best doctor in Bangalore. For which my father nodded and gave a satisfactory smile.

Day by Day proceedings. I have evidence for every single detail I'm posting below.

Day-1(25th May, 2022) - 2 hours into angioplasty, I was called into cath lab and was told that stent was only done for LAD. Shreekanth said my father's BP was going down, so they didn't risk stenting the other left branch artery. 2 hours after angioplasty, my father had a CHB(complete heart block). A CPR and emergency medicine were given and he was kept on temporary pacemaker. The reason conveyed was - a branch near LAD was blocked while stenting LAD in what is termed as snow plowing effect. But, I was assured that he'll be okay in a day and we can remove the support of temporary pacemaker.

[Why wasn't care taken to avoid Snow plowing effect? How could they take easy a branch vessel which is in such a close proximity?]

Day-2 - My father in CCU became disoriented because of all the emergency medicines. He started severely bleeding from puncture sites, writhed in pain. Doctors conveyed that it's just CCU psychosis. They also conveyed that the hearth rhythm is fine. So, they removed support of temporary pacemaker by evening.

[I was already regretting my decision to have him operated]

Day-3 - His pain and disorientation increased. I broke in tears watching him in that state in the morning ICU visit. By 1:30PM, he had another CHB and heart rate went 0 for a while. He was given emergency CPR again and put back on temporary pace maker. Watching him in pain was the most painful experience. Mr Shreekanth called me in and informed me that a permanent pacemaker is necessary.

[I already felt defeated and wanted him at-least alive and out of the hospital]

Day-4 - A permanent pacemaker was placed. Another 24 hours observation in CCU advised

Day-5 - He was moved to general ward in somewhat a weak state. But, I was happy to see him brought out of CCU. I thought worst has passed. He would atleast live with LAD stented and permanent pacemaker for a few years.

[What do I know??? ]

Day - 6 - One of those better feeling days in general ward. My father slowly started to gain his orientation. He couldn't remember much of what exactly happened in last 5 days.

Day-7 - They started to make him walk. He was struggling, but he was trying. He would improve(I thought). Probable discharge next day.

Day-8 - Fluctuating blood sugars. Blood sugar went as high as 480. Endocrinologists struggled to find the right volume of insulin for him. Next day is his birthday. We hoped for discharge atleast the next day.

Day-9 - Blood sugar was coming under control, but he was struggling to walk even to bathroom. I conveyed my concern to the doctor's team. They said they didn't pick anything negative in ECG and Echo done that morning. They said he might be feeling weak. But, he was advised intravenous potassium. Something in ECG made them feel that he's lacking it. His 71st birthday, but he wasn't feeling better.

[Why wasn't he feeling better even on the 9th day after angioplasty?]

Day-10 - Low fasting Blood sugar - 54. I wasn't concerned too much about this as his readings are usually around that value in the morning even before his admission into hospital. Discharge postponed again. I was more concerned that he wasn't even able to walk slowly and comfortably for more than 10 to 20 steps.

[Will he ever be the same Man again? I started to feel that he might never recover in the hospital setting]

Day-11 - Another low fasting blood sugar value. But, this time duty doctor advised discharge. He was moved to pre-ccu area for final discharge tests. They finally gave a discharge order around 3 PM. I spoke to Shreekanth one last time, and he assured that everything is looking good. After insurance process, we were finally discharged at 10:30 PM at night Saturday 4th, June. I knew my father wasn't the same healthy-looking man, but I hoped he would be fine at home. Paid 7 lakh from my pocket, besides another 4.5 lakh from insurance. Took him home, he struggled to walk even into to the bed.

[No idea what is the problem. May be he's still feeling weak as doctor's said]

My family gathered around his bed, and he spoke for an hour saying that he's at-least happy to come out of the hospital. Little did we know that it would be our last family gathering]

Day-12 - Sunday. I believed it would be a good one after a month. But, at 8:15AM, my father complained of heartburn. He said he never felt that way before. I immediately rushed him back to hospital. In less than an hour, we were at Sakra emergency, my father still complaining of pain but stable. Readmitted to hospital in less than 12 hours.

ECG was taken. Severe heart stroke!

Emergency medicines administered. Moved to cath lab after feeling a bit stable. Angiogram performed and found that there is a blood clot at exactly the place where the stent was placed on LAD. Performed balloon angioplasty and clot was removed.

[Why was there a blood clot when two different blood thinners were given all the while in hospital? why did the stent fail?]

At this point, I lost control of everything. I don't know what exactly was happening. I just watched things passively in disbelief.

What have I done to my father?

In an hour, I got a call from CCU. I walked in and I was given the worst news of my life time. His platelet count for some reason has hit 6000. Doctor's team said they would give guarantee to his life from now on. His organs could bleed at any time. They didn't know why the platelet count fell at that point. It could be emergency medicine. They said they are giving steroids to fight against his own immunity. Blood transfusion was in progress.

I broke into tears and walked to his bed.

He was conscious but blood was oozing from all puncture holes. I wanted to talk to him. I know it could be my last talk.

For a minute, I have his oxygen mask removed and told him in tears that I would take care of the family.

These words hit him hard. He understood the severity. His eyes welled. He nodded his head in resignation and looked up. That look and nod will haunt me for my entire life time.

What have I done?

I went out to carry the bad news to my mother.

Within half an hour, his internal organs started to bleed. All the CCU team were around him giving CPR. He was brought back before he went into shock again. The whole CCU team pounced on him again giving CPR one after the another.

He was no more!

They issued a death certificate stating that the reason for death is Heparin-induced Thrombocytopenia. Meaning, they administered a drug which reacted and killed him.

Heparin could kill. Why didn't they know this? Why didn't they keep a check on it? How many times have they given this in the last 11 days? Are they supposed to administer it so many times in such a short period of time?

My father and myself rode to hospital on bike, and walked into cath lab on 25th May and I took his body home(after paying another 1.4 lakhs - total 13.8 lakhs) in Ambulance in an icebox

I'm left with a guilt of lifetime for having him taken to Sakra which led to this death.

How will I ever sleep peacefully again? What have I done?

Upload Photo

Upload Photos

Upload photo files with .jpg, .png and .gif extensions. Image size per photo cannot exceed 10 MB

Comment on this review

Read All Reviews


Sakra World Hospital - Bangalore