21 Tips

Just Be Yourself
Dec 16, 2003 10:42 AM 2138 Views
(Updated Dec 16, 2003 10:42 AM)

Well rules for self development. I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules for that. Every person is unique in his or her way, and they would have to come up with their rules for success. Anyway basing on my experiences in life and my job, I am coming up with some ideas which I feel if implemented properly can make you a better person.

1) Just Be Yourself: You are yourself and not some one else. We are all under peer pressure to dress in a certain way, to have a certain lifestyle or to choose a certain career. Don’t do something since some one else is doing it, you would never be able to do justice to it. If u do something, do it coz u love doing it, not because it’s the in thing or fashion. Real happiness comes from doing what u like, not what others like. I don’t go to discotheques nor am I a pub hopper, but I find happiness in going for long drives or basking in natural beauty.

2) Take life as it Comes: We lay out the best plans for our career, for our life. But there are time when even the best laid plans can go waste. At such a time when you find that whatever you had planned didn’t work out due to factors beyond your control, take it easy and relax. After all the world has not come to an end, and you are still alive. The past is history and the future is a mystery, so live in the present.

3) An Idle Brain is not Exactly a Devil’s Workshop: There is no harm in just lazing around or being idle. That’s the best time to recharge your batteries and soothe your soul. After all Newton discovered the law of gravity when he was resting in his garden. Take a walk in a park, smell the roses, learn to appreciate the simple beauties.

4) The World loves a Fighter: Its not imperative that you have to be a success at whatever you do, but doesn’t mean you go down without putting an effort. Let not people say that he gave up without trying. Make sure that your opponents would have to try their best to put you down. Its not falling down, but getting up every time you fall down and live to fight another day.

5) No Shortcuts to Success: Many of us look for quick fixes, instant money, instant fame, instant recognizition. Well a short cut to success is a short cut to failure as well. The only job where you earn money without work is by begging. To build a house it needs a foundation on which it can stand. To develop yourself, you need to build up a foundation of basic values on which you can stand. Sans that foundation, you would just simply collapse in life.

6) Be Street Smart and Practical: When you are trying to go up, there are 100 others trying to pull you down. And mind you this is there in any part of the world. So its up to you to identify your friends and enemies. Its like a battlefield, where you have to fight for survival. And only the fittest survive(sorry if that seems blunt, but that’s reality). Keep your eyes on the look, and your feet on the ground.

7) Nothing’s Perfect: All of us spend our life looking for that perfect something. The perfect job, the perfect boss, the perfect life partner. But nothing in life is perfect. When you yourself are not perfect, how do you expect others to be? Take something as it is, with all its imperfections. If your in a job, see whether the job suits your temperament. For instance, people have an impression that a job in software is about working in cool offices and earning big bucks. It is, but at the same time the work hours are long and the pressure is very high. So join this field, only if you can handle the pressure and the irregular timings. Your life partner might be having some faults, but look at her strengths and see whether their faults could affect your marriage life. If not then accept your partner as it is.

These are just some of the views I have shared basing on my life experience. I don’t expect you to follow all this, but just give them a thought. And ur feedback is always welcome.