21 Tips

Procrastination-the thief of time
Oct 01, 2003 07:57 AM 2107 Views
(Updated Oct 01, 2003 07:57 AM)

I must admit that I am amply qualified to write on the subject of procrastination, in fact I would challenge any individual to a procrastinated duel, and I guarantee you, I will (eventually) walk away as the victor. Even after deciding to write about procrastination, I played two games of solitaire and walked aimlessly around the house, while munching distractedly on an apple. However I’m a procrastinator with a bit of a twist. I have this guilty conscience about not doing what I’m supposed to, and will find ingenious ways of spending my time doing other ‘worthwhile’ activities as I determinedly shirk off the activity I was supposed to be doing.

For example: when I should be studying for chemistry test, which is on the following day, I will resolutely bake a cake while reassuring myself I am doing the family a good favor, thereby spreading good will and cheer in the world. When I am told to clean my room, I will immediately change into shorts and a t-shirt and take myself off on a jog around the park, comforting myself with the knowledge that there is simply no sense in cleaning my room unless I’m fit and healthy enough to enjoy it for many more years to come. MouthShut is my newest technique in procrastination. I mentioned earlier on how I procrastinated about writing this review, so in actual fact, I’ve got to such a stage in my life where I’m actually procrastinating about procrastination (!?!?)

I posed the question ‘why do we procrastinate?’ to a few acquaintances of mine, and here the responses I got:

· We procrastinate when the work we are supposed to do is either to mundane or difficult.

· Procrastination is for the lazy people in this society, namely politicians, who try their hardest to appear as if they are working busily, while actually doing nothing.

· I procrastinate till I’m stressed, and I work better when I’m stressed…so I procrastinate for a valid reason.

· Deepshikha, if you haven’t done your homework just tell me.

In my opinion, procrastination is merely substituting one activity for another. I mean, I will bake a cake to procrastinate, but if I were asked to bake a cake, I would probably go for a jog (for fear of those extra calsJ). Don’t get me wrong, I’m not an obstinate, lazy person who shirks their duty, I have every intention of doing what I’m supposed to do, only I do it a little later. Procrastinating is very dangerous as while you are avoiding the task you should be doing, you remain productive - which can lull you into a sense of security as you think that you have indeed accomplished something, while the task you originally planned to do, remains undone.

What do you feel about this matter??