Road Grip:

My experience of 3 years (31000 km) use
Nov 27, 2017 11:58 AM 3477 Views
(Updated 11 days ago)

Road Grip:

I purchased RE Himalayan on 31-Oct-16. Here is my personal experience so far.

I use the vehicle daily for approx 30 kms in and around Pune and occasional long touring outside the city over weekends. Because of unpredictable performance of this bike, I dont dare to take it on long rides.

Positives … as I experienced are as below

• Sturdy and attractive build quality. Visually appealing.

• Good stability and road grip resulting in comfortable ride

• Powerful headlight and horn

• Disc break on both wheels

• Good speedometer dial, equipped with trip meters, temperature, mileage, engine rpm, low fuel indicator etc.

• Upright riding position. Comfortable seats.

• Comfortable for pillion rider with sufficient space

• Oil change frequency of 10, 000 kms

• Space to load saddle bags. We can easily load the sack on fuel tank as well.

• 2 year warranty period

Concerns / problems / issues I experienced so far ->

• This bike is heavy-weight and tall. A person driving it has to be physically strong enough.

• Clutch movement is hard. Advisable to keep a spare clutch cable.

• Brake pad wear is fast compared to other bikes. Maybe because of high torque.

• Gear shift is to be operated by toe. Gear shift is very hard. Hence my recommendation is to use Industrial safety shoes while driving this bike. I experienced knee pain because of continuous hard shifting of gears

• Finding neutral gear position is difficult and first gear has to be used very often because the gear ratio doesn’t allow to pull the weight properly

• On speedometer dial, there is a digital compass to show the direction in remote places. But the funny thing is, it malfunctions at any moment and shows absurd directions… hence relying on this compass can put the rider in trouble.

• Oil seepage from gear box joints

• Open chain(no chain cover). Hence frequent application of chain cleaner and chain lube is necessary. If chain lube is not applied, there is a feeling of tight or sluggish rotation of rear wheel. Another problem I experienced that while riding, the chain touches the pant and pant gets dirty. Sometimes we get the feeling of pulling of pant along with the moving chain. This is a safety issue and manufacturer has to look into it.

• While inflating the tyre, it is difficult to put air pipe on rear wheel, because of spokes

• No tubeless tyres. When tyre gets punctured, the tyre becomes flat immediately and its a nightmare experience for the rider. Removal of rear wheel is not easy. Shaft nut size is odd. Hence spanner provided in the tool kit has to be used.

• Engine stalls at any speed when clutch is operated. Hence the rider has to make a habit to keep the accelerator operating, till the engine gets heated up sufficiently

• While moving on wet / dirty / muddy roads, the rider has to be mentally prepared to get dirty, because both the wheels splash the water and dirt on the rider itself. .especially front wheel. Fitting mud-guard is difficult and spoils the look and style of the bike.

• I experienced problems like breakage of Rear plastic bumper, falling of reflector, breakage of leg guard, loosening of horn wires etc., just through normal vibrations from road.

• After filling petrol, every time I close the cap and hit it by hand. If I don’t do this, the petrol spills out from the cap. It results in dropping in mileage. Sounds funny however garage people could not find solution to it.

• Spare part non-availability is a problem. Parts are costly. Even tyre-tube is not easily available. Service station people charge any amount of money for the spares.

• Magneto coil / pickup coil failure is a big problem. Just to share my experience, in last week Nov-17, when tried to start the bike in the morning, starter didn't operate. I had to push start the bike by taking help from people nearby. The bike has carburetor system. Hence push-start is possible. However it was embarrassing experience. I took the vehicle straight to RE service station. Kept the vehicle there for 4 days. The mechanic said that he has checked the coil and battery and no problem found. After 4 days, took the delivery, took trials. everything was fine. While going back to home, the low battery signal re-appeared and it went on and off till I reach home. I decided to give the vehicle back to service station next morning. Again push-started the vehicle in the morning however the'low battery' symbol was not there. I used the bike throughout the day extensively however the problem was not there. Hence I thought that the problem would have been resolved automatically. Next day I was in my office till 10 pm. Took the ride towards home, and the low-bat signal appeared again. As the petrol level was too low, I stopped at petrol pump. then the bike just refused to start even after pushing. The people at petrol pump helped but it didn't start. So I called my friends over there and after lot of hard pushing, the engine started. Again next day morning push-start and travel to service station. Here again the low-bat symbol disappeared and starter worked normally. I was really frustrated. Service station people bluntly told that the magnetic coil is malfunctioning and its a problem experienced in many RE Himalayan bikes! Again for next 5 days bike was in service station. In between I got a call that battery is dead and need to replace for which I need to submit invoice copy and so on. which I submitted. After 2 days I got the bike repaired and mechanic said that only coil was replaced. Battery was ok. . Since then I keep continuous watch on battery indicator. Within last 2.5 years, I replaced the coil 3 times!

• Another problem is of sticky movement of handlebar. This is not a good experience especially in ghat sections. The problem is due to sticky dust seal on handlebar. The seal has to be replaced frequently.

• Mileage is around 25 kmpl.

In a nutshell, this bike is a nasty white elephant having unreliable performance.

After reading all these points, people may ask me why I kept on using this bike? . because cost of this bike is nearly 2 laks rupees and the resale value is very less. Instead, over last 3 years I learnt the general maintenance of this bike and now I do the maintenance myself. This way I developed'friendship' with my bike so that I can use it comfortably.

Royal Enfield Himalayan