Road Grip:

Rs. 1,68,000 (Ex-Showroom)

Royal Enfield

A true king of the hills
Jun 21, 2017 04:09 PM 2957 Views

Road Grip:

Was lucky to use a friend's bike for close to a month.

Starting with the appearance. wow. looks like a beast.as compared to indian bikes.

I initially thought riding this would be uncomfortable. but once I got on this machine. that feeling just changed. well supported, beautiful stance

On the go the bike didn't feel like a heavy bike in fact was quiet nimble. and relaxed riding position. just wish the foot pegs were a bit forward.

Once I was riding on bad roads, (broken roads to be exact)  the front suspensions were a treat. absolutely no strain on the wrist or shoulders.in fact I noticed I was riding much faster and the bike stayed in line.

The mileage I got was 30-33 kmpl which I feel was good enough for a  bike of this CC. Low end torque is sufficient but wish the pick up was better after 60 km. On the highways. the himalayan was struggling to keep up with other fast bikes. At least a 30+BHP would help.

One thing that really test your patience is the gear box. its so difficult to find the neutral. Initially I thought this was an issue just with my friend's bike. tried two other bikes and the same issue.

In terms of reliability. I was surpriced that my friend had to change the chain and sprockets at 17000 km. Few others also said that they could get the chain and sprockets to last 30000km. Why so Royal enfield? My 89 model bullet 350 bike with a 50 year old technology had to replace the chain and sprocket only after 42000 km. And another issue is if you leave the bike in rain. the console is going to go for a toss.

Isn't this beast supposed to be ridden in harsh environment?

Please RE. give us reliable and long lasting bikes. make your money by selling us bikes and not to spare parts.

Royal Enfield Himalayan