Plot:

Music:

Cinematography:

Drive to the theatre!
Oct 05, 2002 12:11 AM 2131 Views
(Updated Oct 05, 2002 12:11 AM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

There had been mixed reviews regarding the latest Vivek Oberoi, Manoj Bajpai and Antara Mali starrer Road. The movie was either termed as a 'hit' or a 'flop'. That made me unsure about spending bread going all the way to PVR and seeing it on the big screen.

However, I do not think twice as I state, it is definitely one of the best hindi movies I have ever seen. The fact that it originates from Bollywood is almost unbelievable.

A little background first perhaps - Arvind (Vivek Oberoi) and Lakshmi (Antara Mali) are lovers who elope to get married. They are off to Arvind's hometown in a Black Safari. On the way, they give lift to Baabu (Manoj Bajpai) and from there, it is a crazy thrilling experience.

Road has it all - Action, Romance and Comedy. It never bores you, not even for a fraction of a second. Talking about Road will be futile if the camera effects and the direction are not commented upon. In one word? 'OutOfThisWorld' (Sorry, just had to use those four words!) Infact, as the titles appear, you can almost swear you're watching a Hollywood flick.

After Company, Ram Gopal Verma meets more than your expectations in Road. You just can't believe something as enchanting as Company can be created again. If you liked Company, you'll love Road!

Vivek Oberoi has made me a bigger fan of his acting talents. His role, although not very significant, couldn't have been done better. When he gets mad, you can almost see his nerves pumping. He can becoming a sweet chocolate hero to a mad desparate boyfriend in a matter of seconds.

Antara Mali plays Lakshmi well. One almost hopes she could've got a more creative name in the movie (Lakshmi? Excuse me! No offense to all the Lakshmi's out there!). She does well what she can do the best, take off clothes. But thats alright, her could-be-better acting compensates for that. After Company, you get used to seeing Antara-Vivek together, so their on-screen chemistry falls in place.

Manoj Bajpai has never failed to portray his characters to the best of his abilities. His work has been most appreciated, and he does deserve all what he gets. His scary expressions really make you fear him through the movie. His acting has been the major highlight of the movie.

So if nothing else entices you, you must see Road for the performances of all its actors. They're worth it - really!

The plot is interesting and often has many unexpected twists and turns. Honestly speaking, I have nibbled most of my nails (when I really dont have that habit), so you can imagine how thrilling the whole experience of seeing the movie has been for me. It is amazing how a movie shot mostly on the road can leave such an impact on one's mind.

If you like movies which make you cry, or make you emotionally touched, I would recommend you watch something else, for Road is not for you. That is the major reason most people have considered it a 'flop'. Road is not your average hindi flick. It can be termed accurately as a thriller and a spine-chiller. If you like movies with sense, and with excitement, just call the nearest cinema hall and book your tickets for the next show. If you're a big fan of Karan Johar, however, you'd rather see KKKG again.

Try not watching the movie with little kids, for two reasons - first of course it is certified (A) and second, you will not like distruptions. Even a song here or there tends to irritate you in the movie, as you just cant wait to find out what happens next. If you're a teenager (thats me!), try not watching it with parents or family, because there is a reason why it is certified (A). Do not watch it alone, because you would really need someone to agree with you when you comment on how great the movie is. Watch it with friends or with a love interest.

For me, it has been 'paisa vasool' entertainment. Road had me at the edge of my seat and makes me look forward to the next Ram Gopal Varma movie.

For you, it oughtta be the same, but if it isn't, oh please dont blame my review for supposedly wasting your three hours!

Road