Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Bollywood on a new 'Road'
Oct 09, 2002 02:03 AM 2521 Views
(Updated Oct 09, 2002 02:05 AM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Well, where to start?

Only that I've been looking forward to this film for ages and boy was I blown away! The film is nothing short of remarkable, despite its flaws (which for some bizarre reason people have become fixated with). Here's how I saw the glorious production that is Road...

What's right with it?

The plot

For once, a Bollywood film had me at the edge of my seat throughout its duration. Anyone who's seen Hollywood road flicks will be familiar with its storyline but that isn't the point. The fact is it is unique in Bollywood at the moment and for that due praise must be given. Ram Gopal Varma has again delivered on a different and refreshing script.

The Performances

This was Vivek Oberoi's much anticipated second release and I think people have completely missed the point. After Company, we all thought he was a great actor but we doubted whether he could be a run-of-the-mill hero. Well, he's proved his critics wrong. He was the every inch the conventional hero and while his role is the third most important, he was the sane link in a movie of craziness and he has performed admirably. The guy is definitely here to stay in my opinion.

Antara Mali was superb. A lot of the talk has been about her figure and while undoubtedly she has a terrific body, it was her acting that captivated me. She was at once subtle yet vivacious, restrained yet aggressive, vulnerable yet determined. I'll even go as far as to say not even Urmilla could have matched up to her in the role. I thought her pairing with Vivek was astonishingly convincing, they are simple amazing together!

Manoj Bajpai was predictably good. He's never had a bad performance for as long as I can remember and this was one of his best. He did over do it a bit towards the end but in general he was up to the mark.

What's wrong with it?

The film falters in the second half scriptwise and the direction isn't as tight as it was in the first half. It seems the director didn't know whether he wanted Babu to be the bad guy or the hero of the film! I felt we started to sympathise a bit TOO much with the villain and the lack of Oberoi's presence hurts the film a bit. I did think it got a bit contrived and perhaps a bit rushed as well. Some of the songs were badly placed as well and seemed thrown in to fufill the obligatory number of song and dance in Hindi films.

Road is an unusual film in the midst of never-ending sappy love stories and silly masala films. Go and see it if you appreciate fresh cinema, unconventional but terrific music and great performances!

Road