Room Quality:

Guest Services:

Lakkidi, Wayanad 673576, KL

+91-172-3347153

2 Star

Going downhill...if they don't pull up their socks
Aug 31, 2010 10:44 PM 3842 Views

Room Quality:

Guest Services:

This place held so much promise but is let down by shoddy service, meals and entertainment(or lack of it).For the price I felt it was highly overrated.The resort is located about 3.2 km from lakkidi and is approached by a dirt track passing partly through official forest area with the result that permission hasn't been granted to asphalt the road.The approach road is narrow and two vehicles moving in opposite directions would mean a traffic jam.The 3.2 km journey actually takes about half an hour if you are moving in a small car and don't want to damage the underside of your car body.The isolation wouldn't have been a problem but as others have pointed out elsewhere here the lack of entertainment and proper food have been major let downs.

During our stay there my friend complained about dirty towels...a definite no no.

Someone decided that keeping with the ambiance of the place the rooms should have 1950's style old fashioned bakelite switches. No problem with that except half of them are broken and don't work.For the price they are charging there is no phone or intercom to call up reception.The manager had the cheek to say that I should have called him up on his personal mobile number whenever I wanted anything.Now tell me suppose I don't want to bring along my phone?...what then?....and why should I bloody well spend my money on an outstation call and roaming charges to a manager sitting just 300ft away in the reception area?Will they reimburse call charges????

There was no hot water available in the room...that's because they shut off the gas to the geysers when the guests leave and forget to turn it on again when someone else checks in again.At 7.30 in the morning I had just undressed in the bath only to discover that the water was cold.Quickly dressed again and went down to the reception area.No one there.Went to the restaurant area and spotted someone in the backyard which by the way is filthy.Why can't restaurant back rooms be kept clean?

Food was a huge dissapointment.Milk in the tea and cofee are over boiled.The breakfast is nothing to write home about.The curry provided with the 'puttu' had a lot of vegetables chopped rather half-heartedly in it.The food quality was inconsistent with lunch being too spicy.We had to give our feedback to them and request dinner with less chilli and spices.

The very isolation of this resort makes it imperative that they improve the service, food and entertainment in house .This a place slowly going to seed and one can feel it especially in the way it is run(or run down like some of the path way lights).It is a coffee estate converted to a resort and the promoters of this place need to give this place a major shakedown soon otherwise no one is going to come back.I spoke to one of the managers there and he told me that rates are going to be increased from the next season for all cottages.And pray what is the value add?Will we still have to call the manager from our mobile phones then?.....and feel grateful for it????

For the price I would recommend either Tranquil or Edakkal Hermitage both of which are light years ahead.

Write a Review on Rain Country Resorts - Wayanad