One major problem with Quora.
24 days ago 493 Views
(Updated 24 days ago)

Quora could be amazing but it has a major issue that needs to be resolved: the Moderators are not engaged in the community in a meaningful or helpful manner.

I know since I was on Quora for about a year. After a few months of writing comments, they asked if I would like to get paid to write on the site. I thought this could be fun and rewarding. I wrote a lot of questions, honed the craft of writing that generated more answers and meaningful engagement with other Quorans. I worked hard to be respectful to others and even though I'm not a fan of President Trump, I always referred him as President Trump(and not just plain Trump or other much more insulting terms like other users employed). Despite this, I noticed that Trump supporters started to malign me with personal comments. Most of it I ignored but when it got really insulting I would ask for Quora Moderation.

In the second month, my views were now in the millions and I was earning five times more money than the previous month. Around this time, I started to get some comments/messages from other Quorans that I was being targeted by Trump supporters who were determined to shut me down. While I took these comments somewhat seriously and always appreciated the help that other Quorans had provided, I wasn't certain what I could do avoid being brigaded by people who clearly hated me.

By my third month, things were really starting to build in terms of my upvotes, followers, and overall engagement. Then one morning I logged in to see a warning from Quora Moderation that my account was suspended for 24 hours because they had complaints my questions were biased. The warning said that if I didn't fix this I would be suspended again and that this could lead to me being banned for life from Quora.

Needless to say, I was even more careful about my phrasing and worked hard to ensure my questions were to the point and non-biased. Two days later, a particularly nasty Quoran who had pursued me before with insults and personal attacks call me a "kike". Now, I'm not Jewish but my last name might have made him think I was. Anyway, the whole thing made me angry. I reported the comment as bigoted to Quora Moderation but nothing happened. In fact, the user repeated the insult and wrote "kike" again in the thread.

In response, I decided to write about this exchange in a Quora forum where users discuss racist, bigoted, or insulting commentary. I subsequently uploaded a screenshot and didn't fuzz out the other Quora user's name.

That was it, with hours I was banned for life. I wrote a detailed appeal asking Quora very politely to reconsider. Nope. They owed me money but never paid and they just deleted me with no feedback whatsoever. Although Quora never responded to any other pleas for more information, other Quorans kept me up to date about what happened afterward. And the insult remained online for a week, the word "kike" hanging there, much to the chagrin of many in the community. Then Quora finally took it down and the same Quora user just repeated it again. It was distressing for many Quorans but there was also fear that they would also get banned if they spoke out.

I truly believe Quora is a good concept and that many Quorans are intelligent thoughtful people, even some who support President Trump. I had many good conversations with others. And I succeeded more than once turning a negative comment into a positive dialogue and built some respect with people I have little in common within the process. But some Quora Moderators are so heavy-handed and closed to any real appeal or dialogue that it deeply harms the way people communicate in the community. You can see that reading through peoples' commentary here. Quora Moderation is the biggest issue the forum faces and it seems to be getting worse.

And that's the real shame IMHO. Cause I know that people like me are what Quora needs to flourish.

Quora.com