Satisfaction:

T5
Jan 11, 2013 05:12 PM 2813 Views

Satisfaction:

Prices:

Staying as I do in Mumbai 'burbs, we get a barrage of communications from the Energy provider (Reliance Energy) pushing for a switch over from normal tube light fixtures to T5 as they are purported to save 25-30% of energy.  In one of their promos they offered a good discount on the fittings (Osram) and I switched all the tube fittings at my home to this and waited to see the savings.

While there is little or no change in my consumption pattern, what I observed is the rather high cost involved in replacing the 4' T5 tubes (not covered under warranty), the high frequency of the electronic ballast conking off (warranty for two years only - you incur an expense as an electrician needs to come across and dismantle it from the fitting) rather frequently etc.  Scene is worse for the smaller 2' T5 tubes which need to be replaced every 2-3 months.  Note: these tubes cost double that of a normal tube and i'm not even factoring in the incidental costs of electrician, replacement of the elec ballast etc.

All in all, I am of the opinion that its a classic case of a novel concept but 0poor quality/execution, so if you want years of trouble free utility, with low installation/running cost, go with the good old 'Philips tube fittings'.

T5 sucks and the only people gaining from it are the brands that are selling them.

Rgds,