Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Does Shahrukh Have enough Magic to save This film?
Jul 10, 2005 09:39 PM 1253 Views
(Updated Dec 19, 2007 09:15 PM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

When I went to watch Paheli two weeks ago my expectations was running high for a shahrukh Khan Film, maybe because It looked like something different? Maybe because I heard the soundtrack and loved almost each and every song in the soundtrack? But when I finished watching the film I did ask myself a lot of questions and to be honest I was disappointed a bit. The story is about a simple girl called Lachchi [Rani Mukerji] she is married to Kisan [Shah Rukh Khan] all Kisan seems interested in is making money, he seems to have no time for Lachchi at all. This is shown because after the wedding night Kisan leaves town away on business for 5 years. But As Kisan leaves town a Ghost who is deeply in love with Lachchi takes on Kisans Appearance and he enters the life of Lachchi pretending to be Kisan. But the Ghost then tells Lachchi that he is not Kisan and infact he is a ghost who is deeply in love with you. Lachchi breaks down and relies there is someone that loves her so much and then there is her husband who only cares about making money. She chooses to love the ghost, but four years later Kisan comes back and that is when all the villagers get confused to who is the real Kisan. Lachchi will also have to make a choice weather to choose the ghost or to choose her husband. To find out what happens next you are going to have to watch the film yourself or I would recommend you to watch it on dvd, Yes the sets and the clothes does look great! But is it really worth watching an average movie (In my view) on the big screen? To me this film was not worth the money I spent because there are a few boring moments in the film. I am sure kids should not watch this film otherwise they will get bored through out the whole movie. But lets not be harsh here, the movie is different and the look of the film is very good and give marks to this film is because of the story has not be attempted by any other director. Amol Palekar has done something different here and he sure made the film look very rich without spending so much money on it. The special effects in the movie are another plus point, it is not to over the edge and it looks very good. But again is that all we need for people to go in the cinema to watch a film that is different, because of special effects and because the story is different? No the story might be different but does the story keep you locked to the screen? I am afraid people you will get bored lots of time during this film. Not only is the film dragging at time but there are so much un answered questions like when Lachchi get pregnant how the hell does that happen? How can Lachchi get pregnant from a ghost? Also showing they showed too much of the ghost powers. It felt like the ghost was a super hero, the way he enters a scene is like he is a superhero, the way he produced those gold coins and the way he can change into any animal, I would say a bit over done. Also a the camel race when the ghost throws most the people of there ride, a bit like Mr super man won’t you say? But there are some great performances scenes in the film e.g . When the ghost tells Lachchi that he is not Kisan and infact he is ghost that loves her a lot, and that make Lachchi break down. . The comedy scenes between Anupum kher and the Ghost about the gold coins . When Kisan comes back to town and he is like “arre tu kaun hai?” and he confronts the ghost is enjoyable to see. . The climax (which is good but I am still confused to it) As for the performances, I would say well done to Shahrukh khan and Rani Mukerji, for a great performance Shahrukh khan as Kisan is good but I prefer him as the ghost, what I think is when he performed good as Kisan was when he breaks down in front of Anupum Kher and when no one believes him that he infact is Kisan, although this character might be hated because the way he acts with his wife and always into his job and making money. Shahrukh khan again as the ghost is amazing, his face expressions and his romantic lines are well said. You believe in the character that infact this ghost does love Lachchi shahrukh khan does infact brings life to this character meaning life into this Ghost. Rani Mukerji as Lachchi is amazing, you feel very sorry for this character when Kisan leaves town, and you feel just as happy when she finds love again from the ghost. Her emotional scenes are well done Juhi Chawla is okay as Shahrukh khans sister, but out of the three (S.A) she has the biggest role. Sunil Shetty only gets a few lines and 2 scenes in the movie; he is in a bit of the song Kangna re in a little dream sequence with Juhi Chawla. When he comes home and comes back to his wife and kids is the only time we get to see him in the film. Mr B Only has one scene and I thought he would have a bigger role in this film but I was disappointed. The songs are very well shot especially dheere Jhalna, Kangana re and Lagga re jal Lagga! Overal an average movie, I recommend you to watch this film but maybe on DVD when it comes out otherwise kids avoid this film I am sure you will sleep throughout it! 2.5/5 **1/2

Paheli