Readability:

Story:

Nudity Rocks
Dec 23, 2004 12:19 PM 2065 Views
(Updated Dec 23, 2004 02:10 PM)

Readability:

Story:

Hmm... Now that I have your attention, let?s talk. Equipped with nothing but just a great reading experience I begin my first review here. The Nudist On The Late Shift, already has two reviews but I felt that both don?t do justice to the writer as well as the book.

The Author:

First let?s have a look at the writer, PO Bronson, I stumbled upon him through his book ''Bombardiers'' probably the funniest look anyone has ever had at the Financial Industry. I

Anyway, coming to the book. I think the title of the book is very apt as it speaks about the extent one goes to assert one's individuality.

The Book:

The title comes from a real life case of one man who is to work in the nude. Please don?t be scandalized, he used to work an odd shift and used to roam around in the nude after ten in the night. The author did go to the extent of tracing this man down to see if there was any truth in this story and did find it to be true.

When I read this book, one question that really did not leave me was why would one want to do something so risky when one would surely know the consequences in case this were to come to light. Incidentally at that point in time I was also meeting a lot of new people and almost all of them did have their set of idiosyncrasies, actually so do I.

I almost got the feeling that all of them were being pushed into one corner and they had to do something to prove their individuality. I believe that is one of the central themes of this book. If you go through this book you will come across character after character that is doing so. What I intend to do with this review is to attempt an explanation.

The book is set on the backdrop of the tech boom of the nineties when people were flocking the valley to make their fortune.

Unfortunately we just hear of the success stories and never the failures. Now, imagine being in a place that is over crowded with all people wanting to make it big. In this mad rat race what is the most natural outcome? You either are a part of it or you fall out of it.

Then how does one cope with this tremendous pressure? How does one maintain sanity and self worth in an over crowded place where people are willing to walk all over you to be front liners? Well the most natural answer is that you toughen up and face tough times. But unfortunately then one would have to do a lot of self sacrifice to be in the race.

Then when one gets home and puts his head on the pillow to rest, the one haunting question remains is that of who am I? and what am I doing here? This I believe comes out in other places, because on one front in our lives we are being so challenged that we need to assert our individuality in other places.

I believe that is the central theme of this book. There is another very beautiful lesson I learnt from this book. I am sure as children all of us have played Doctor.

I remember my time and also remember how involved I used to get and go to the extent of fighting to prove my point of view. Now, imagine my mother watching me play this game. She knows that at the end of the day I wasn?t a doctor and would still be a school going kid and she would let me play. But, the difference is that I would stop being a doctor once my game was over.

I believe that is the mistake we all make; we get so involved in something that we forget what our long term goals are and what we are here for.

The wide array of characters in the book ranges from the most successful names that we know; being David Filo and Sabir Bhatia the failures which are innumerable. The book is filled with incidents, funny, hard hitting and insightful.

As we go through the book we see people starting out with real big dreams and then scaling them down to suit the reality around them. I am not professing against the idea of dreaming but I also believe that one needs to know one?s potential well enough to align one?s goals with one?s potential.

The book is very interesting because it brings to light some really funny characters. One guy who grew pot to fund his venture to a guy who came to the valley all the way from France another South east Asian Guy who left a flourishing business back home to come to the valley.

I think net-net this is my take on the book. I highly recommend this book for some serious introspection.

Nudist On the Late Shift, The - P O Bronson