Nokia

A few minor niggles apart, a very good phone !
Aug 05, 2009 07:52 PM 5333 Views
(Updated Aug 05, 2009 08:31 PM)

Hey guys, this is my first review on mouthshut.Lol, I dont know much about the rules for writing a review here, but i'm gonna be as casual and easy going as possible.

On with it !

Well, there are very few choices for a customer looking for a CDMA handset in the semi-premium price range. Read that as the 9k-12k range.  So had to buy the 6275 out of lack of choice.

Build :Finally satisfied with the purchase, I came back home, all happy, though not too pleased with the looks of the phone. Anyways, few things about the build quality, after a week of use. The legendary Nokia build quality is missing !

The phone back cover rattles, and doesnt fit in with a positive click. I'm thinking that overenthusiastic usage of the phone, like opening the back cover often to take out the memory card will loosen the back cover further. And then it will rattle and squeak more. So yeah, careful with that ! I have filled the card with the stuff, and I dont open the back cover anymore. Anyways, I use the SE P990i as the primary device for music and stuff, since the sound quality of SE is unmatched. Nokia cant beat Sony in that game. Besides, the headphones that come with Nokia 6275 are seriously entry level. You might wanna upgrade to a better optional headset later.

The four-direction key to move around the menu is a bit too small for people with large fingers. I have moderately sized fingers, but still, it takes some effort to press the keys. The main keypad is okay, more towards the positive side. Buttons are fairly big enough, though not as good as the Nokia 6233, its GSM counterpart, and closest to it in terms of design and features. And yeah, when you press the keys, the back cover makes a squeaky noise, that isnt very confidence inspiring about the build quality.Too bad! What's up, Nokia? We expect better from you guys, with the kind of reputation you have !

Build : 3/5 (more kinda 2.5, but hey! I'm a generous guy, you see. :-P )

Looks: Subjective. But that is not the best feature of this phone that I like. I would have loved it, if it looked like its brother, 6233(GSM).The metal rim in the front gives it a classy look, like the 6233.But thats about as much I have to say about its looks. The back looks cheap for a 10k phone. :-/ No camera shutter cover either.That makes it look cheaper. I have the black model. And the silver plastic rim on the back looks bad to me. It would have looked far better, if Nokia had kept it black, in keeping with the overall design, like the 6233.Overall, its looks are a mixed bag for me. Your opinion may be different.

Look: 3/5 (strictly :-P )

Features :

Screen: The screen is a typical QVGA 2 incher with crisp colors and a resolution of 240x320, which is adequate for a screen size this small.I don’t know if watching movies on this size is a great idea, cos I wouldn’t, but anyways, the screen is good enough. Text and other stuff are visible even when you are out there in the daylight. 4/5

UI:Legendary nokia simplicity ! you’ll feel at home with the user interface immediately.

It is a typical nokia phone based on the Series 40. Though, the 6233 comes with an upgraded version of the S40, and has better support for java apps etc, this phone misses out on some of those features. It depends, how much you are going to miss it. :P I don’t, cos I use a Sony Ericsson P990i(GSM) for my browsing needs and other Java apps.The phone comes with 21mb internal memory, which is strictly okay.It can fill up in no time. Using the 512 mb microSD memory card supplied with the phone, for images and music is recommended.

4.5/5

Phonebook:You can store 500 phone contacts in the phonebook, which may seem too less for those who have more friends than they can count the hair on their head.:P To me, its okay. I’m a pretty reserve guy. My phonebook list never exceeded 50 entries. :-P

3.5/5

Connectivity :The phone comes with inbuilt Bluetooth and infrared, which is a big plus! Transfer of data from my P990i to the 6275 was fairly fast. You can connect it to a PC as well, though you need to buy a CA 53 datacable separately.The phone can be used as a modem for browsing net on your PC.

4.5/5 (-0.5 for not providing the cable in the box)

Messaging: The phone also has MMS facility, which I use frequently due to the size of text that can be squeezed in, into an mms.160 character limit of smses doesn’t do it for me. :-P So, yeah, that was one of the main reasons to get this phone. Very few other CDMA phones in this price range are available with this feature. Sms facility is usual like all Nokia phones.

5/5

Music/Video Player and FM :  I prefer my SE P990i for music and video, because of the size of its screen and the legendary music quality of Sony.But for casual use, the music player in 6275 is okay. It comes with an equalizer, which you can tweak to some extent. I don’t listen to FM, but just for the sake of it, the reception was clear. The only issue is the bundled headphones. Change them if you want to enjoy your music.One good feature in 6275 is that they have provided an additional 2.5mm jack for connecting any other headphone of your choice. Nice touch !

Video player is entry level.I don’t really care about games, but there are few, for your amusement, if you are a fan of phone games.Apart from the usual stuff, the file manager is quite user friendly, and lets you move stuff around with ease.

4/5

External Memory :You can install a MicroSD card of upto 2 GB. I purchased one, with the phone. A 512 mb card is included in the standard accessories.

4/5 (Would have been great if it could support upto 4GB )

Speakerphone and Sound : One thing that I miss in the 6275 is the sound quality of the 6233. It had twin surround speakers. Wish Nokia had added the same in the 6275. The single speaker, though not bad, isn’t  anywhere near to the 6233 in sound quality, *

4/5

Reception and Battery life: Usually, CDMA has better network strength than GSM networks, and network issues usually are few and far between.But even then, the 6275 lives upto the Nokia reputation with amazing voice clarity and network reception.I have tested it in basement parkings at malls and in moving trains, and it just works fine !Battery life is okay, nothing great for a 1150 mah battery. My P990i with a 900 mah battery, and a much bigger screen, lasts longer !  The 6275 will last for 1 – 1.5 days with normal usage.

*Reception : 5/5  Battery Life : 3.5/5

Overall rating : 4/5

The 6275 is a very good phone, ’cept its looks.Though I still think that it doesn’t deserve a price tag of more than 8k in the current market with the kind of phones available for 10k in the GSM network. Overall, I’m satisfied with the purchase. :-) Hope you found my review useful !

Nokia 6275