Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

MKS - A Classic from Another Era...
Jul 09, 2006 06:10 AM 3611 Views

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Salaams/Namaste/Greetings to all my people,

Muqadar Ka Sikander was according to my family, the first movie I ever saw as a baby. I watched it everyday, I wanted to marry Rekha, I was scared of Dilawar, I wanted to be Sikander. Enough said!

I read all of your reviews and found them superb (especially the gentleman with new baby picture). Just wanted to share some thoughts and observations actually, which made me realize in my 20s, JUST HOW brilliant this film was, and how classically correct it was :) Hope you find it interesting.

Before that however, the common theme I saw from you all was that Raakhee Gulzar didnt warrant much praise... however you must remember that while everyone else's role inspires SOME form of progress (Sikander becomes legend, Dilawar is big, Zohra Bhai is beautiful, Sikander's sister is being married, Vinod's career takes off), Raakhee's character was TOP of the POPS in the opening, and eventually they became bankrupt. Her makeup, her acting, were actually subtle and superb. She blended in the background and totally made you wonder, WHY DOES SIKANDER yearn for her? Well he yearns for her because she can never be his. And she is the only thing in his life that Sikander cannot attain, in spite of hard work or charity... intriguing considering Rekha is a goddess in the film but then Sikander has a reputation yaar, and she is a tawaif.

OK so while in college, I had this professor who discussed that actual epics have elements of Tragedy, Axis Mundi (a point at which discoveries and great transitions occur), foreboding, tragic flaws, and of course emotion overpowering common sense. Vijay Kaul and Laxmikant Sharma (the writers who get no credit!) did brilliant!

1) Sikander's obvious tragic flaw is memsaab. A flaw which would seem miniscule to most, something you can get over, something you can grow out of... but a tragic flaw is something that is reminiscent of where you started, but it will also lead to your DOOM (think kryptonite for Superman)

2) AXIS MUNDI is a spiritual place, a common locale which whenever something occurs there, a major shift in plot will occur. It is where the divine meets the earthly... in this case, the kabiristan (graveyard) and the Dervish Kadar Khan! Think of all the times he meets Sikander... he forebodes, he gives advice... he says "Sikander it will be a HUGE day when your sister is married" (cue to later, the day of Mehroo's wedding is when the finale occurs)

3) A consistent object which highlights just how high our hero has risen - the gudiya doll! Do you remember how he has to STEAL her in first segment of the film? In the second segment he actually buys a very lavish piece of jewelry and then gets the GUDIYA doll also, and pays like it is nothing. The shopkeeper says why? Sikander says I only ever stole once in my life... this is to pay it back.

Guys it goes on... you do not love this movie just because of the songs and the actors, it is the sheer chemistry, the plot, the characters and their respective struggles... desis have actually always been the best story tellers, we have one million shakespeares lekin our marketing is horrible :(

Anyways I love this forum and hope to read your different reviews... By the way no modern day or current films have gripped my imagination like these old 70s/80s flicks... is it just me or do you guys feel the same?

Regards,