Happy_Republic_Day_2020

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Stay Happy and spread the word too!
Dec 13, 2005 04:53 PM 3305 Views
(Updated Dec 13, 2005 05:15 PM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

A film review is a tedious task. I don’t do it unless I hated the film and loved it to the extent that I am willing to write on it. To review a film means recall of the entire film, the scenes, the songs and the good and the bad moments. But reviewing a film like Munnabhai MBBS gave me only happy memories. It gave me memories of smiles, loads of laughter and some tears. A film which was and would be in a league of its own; a true time pass with a social message subtly being told.

I will not go into details of what the film is all about. The film has been shown of-late on TV quite a number of times and many of us have seen it now. The film many would say is a total farce. It is unreal, a mockery of the “pious” medical profession, a joke that should not have worked. But it worked. The film had a simple story but the way it was told, made it different. The film had nothing to do with morality of doctors; it could have been a lawyer, a teacher or an IAS. The message was somewhere else. The message that I could interpret was that life is messy, it is full of shit. Agreed! It has its’ lows, you just need to deal with them and not lose out on your life.

The key to a happy life is to smile in adversity and think that life is what you make of it and not what others make it for you. I loved the film, its small moments, its dialogues, stars; in short, everything.

The stars of the film are the best. Each one suits the role to the T and there is no doubt that the film worked because it had good cast.

Sanjay Dutt as Munnabhai is excellent. A role that requires him to speak tapori language and act like a local don; which he has done before as well. This role could not have fitted anyone else in the industry and he did full justice to the role. The film worked because people related to the way Sanjay dealt with the character.

He was the harmless goon, a shy romantic, an obedient son; all at the same time. There was never a moment when you felt that it is going over the top, which could have been the case if it was a frilly comedy. The audience loved him!

Boman Irani as the dean is perfect. He essayed the role with utmost sincerity, you can just see it. As a parent and an experienced doctor, he gave the role an independent life. He was not a supporting actor but a main actor in the film. The impact that this role had on his life is immense and that shows that he did the job well.

Arshad Warsi was a revelation in the film. He was someone who could make you smile at all times. He was a cute character which was indispensable for the film. He was there in every major scene and that is what makes him adorable. I loved him in the film with his smart cut throat dialogues.

All the characters in the film were good at what they did. The parsi doctor, his dad, Jimmy Shergil, Sunil Dutt etc. All were good in their respective roles.

The film is a lesson for the big film makers. The film proves that you do not have to get a main stream “huge” star (read SRK, Salman and Aamir) to get a hit; a comedy need not be over the top and if you have a good script, even side actors will get their due.

The strongest factors that made this film a super hit was the story, Sanjay Dutt and “ Jaddu Ki Jhappi”. The film had innocent moments of laughter, on situations which occur with each of us. The film was a reminder to each one of us that stop for a minute, smile and walk again. It would not cost you a thing!

I would not have written the review for this film because I know I can’t do justice to it. I wrote this on an impulse. A bad day reminded me that I need to get back at what life still can offer. It is my way of getting over a tear, a sadness, a thought that would have engulfed me if I would have allowed it to. This review is for my need!

Finally, the film is a special one for me because I vouch for the prescription the film gives to the audience. “Smile and the world smiles with you and if you need a hug, I am here!”.

Watch the film if you have'nt!

Munna Bhai M.B.B.S