Help Functionality:

Reliabiity & Satisfaction:

Smile You're On Candid Camera
Apr 15, 2004 07:45 AM 2382 Views
(Updated Apr 15, 2004 07:45 AM)

Help Functionality:

Reliabiity & Satisfaction:

Five years ago, I got a hot-mail account, because I want to have Netmeeting 3.

The History

Netmeeting 3.0 began when the Microsoft Company developed (in the 1990's), and was the first ''real time'' communication service. You can use it on any Microsoft of MAC computer.

At that time, Netmeeting was not in service quite often. I wasn't happy about that at all.

I couldn't use Yahoo, because my husband uses that, and so I stayed with Netmeeting until it became the MSN server.

You had to have a camera and speakers to use Netmeeting. You could make free phone calls, if the server was not busy. It was very slow and I was not impressed with it.

I have no idea if Windows Netmeeting even exsists any more. They had so many problems with it.

Microsoft Changed The Name To MSN

Microsoft keep improving MSN and each time it became better.

The Selection

Since that time Microsoft has upgrade it, many times, and I am using the latest server, (6.1).

When I boot up my computer every morning the Messenger appears on my desk top. Under ''File'', I can select if I am on line, busy, be right back, away, out to lunch, or appear off line.

The Contacts

I can invite any one who has a hot mail account to become part of my contacts. They will receive a pop-up asking them if they will accept me, (no one has rejected me yet). I can also invite people who don't have a hot mail account, but they will have to sign in for one, to be on my contact list.

What You Can Do With Your Contacts

You can block them, if you are busy chatting with some one else. If you get angry with one of them you can take them off your list. I have only done this twice, once because the person had died, and the other time because I was upset with someone.

Why I wanted the MSN Messenger

I have a camera and two mikes, so if they do as well we can talk to one another, live.

If they don't have a camera but do have microphones, we can talk to one another.

If they don't we can type our messages. You can have three family members or friend typing messages together at the same time.

You can send an instant message, if you are on line at the same time. The message box comes up and you can pick up the backgrounds that you want, (deep seat diving, floral, etc.). You can also put you picture on this box.

If they aren't on line you can sent them a message to hot mail, and as soon as they sign on to their computer, they will see a box come up telling them they have an email. You will see they have just signed in.

The Other Things You Can Do

You can make free long distance phone calls. You can send an email to a mobile phone.

You can have an address book, that has the address' of your contacts, phone numbers, (both home and business), mobile phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

You can send files, photographs, or small movies you have made, to the person you are on line with.

You can play games on line, (I play Bridge and Cribbage).

You can pick the style and colour of what you are typing. When you are typing there is a section on the bottom, that shows emotions, (smiling faces, sad faces, faces that wink, a coffee cup, a drinking glass, a camera, a bat, a rose, a cake, a sad face and one that is crying).

You can select the backgrounds, from mountains, under water, a racing car, hearts and an out of space one.

There is a help if you need it.

The Only Problems I've had

If there are storms between Victoria and California I can only type messages, because the pictures are fuzzy. It's strange because I've never had this problem when there are storms between Canada and South Korea, England or Israel.

A few time the service has gone down for a few hours.

My Final Thoughts

I am happy that Microsoft changed Netmeeting into MSN

If you have friends and family who live far away, and you can see them, and talk, and feel you are in the same room as them, you will know the joy I feel when I use this service.

If you aren't using AOL or Yahoo Messengers, I hope you will try MSN.

The link is: messenger.msn.co.uk or messenger.msn.com

Thank you for reading my review.