Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

*MAKKHI: Size Doesn't Matter

Forget ABC (Aiyyaa, Bhoot Returns, Chittagong).

Forget KKD (not kakdi silly, but Khans, Kumar, Devgan)

Forget ek machchar aadmi ko hijda bana deta hai.

Forget Superman, Spiderman, other man

Here comes the super (hero) makkhi. A David against Goliath. A mere pest against a mighty man. A symbolic Ram against Ravan (Dussheha is coming). A saviour for Mother India against the corrupt. A courageous house-fly with fire in its belly. A universal animated hero that anyone around the world can relate to. Language is no barrier for this is speaking a universal language that is being lapped up as it is being dished out. And our Hindi film heroes can never match it, for it is miles ahead already garnered crores in Telugu (Eega), Tamil (Naane) and Malayalam (Eeche) versions.

Can anyone be so powerful? When one watches this makkhi, one can safely says, YES. We root for this makkhi. Our eyes never for a second waver from the screen. We are mesmerised what this makkhi is thinking and will do next. And we root for it, clapping, encouraging and egging him on. The movie end and we thirst for more. It's time to buy another ticket and watch it again. Only to yearn for more. That is the power of makkhi. And this is no cardboard or muscular makkhi. It is not the irritation housefly too, who you'd swat at the first go. It is the saviour, who is not scared. It is reincarnated just to take revenge. And it won't budge for it has tasted blood.

Nani, a fireworks maker loves his neighbour Bindu (Samantha Ruth Prabhu), a micro artist. Although he confesses his love to her, she lightly flirts with him. In walks Sudeep (Sudeep), an industrialist, womaniser and a crack shot, who doesn't mind killing for gain. And he takes a liking for Bindu. when he finds Nani in his way, he cold-bloodedly murders him but not before Nani hears Bindu confessing her love for him and not before Nani threatens Sudeep to not touch Bindu or else...

That love confession infuses a new will in dead Nani only to be reincarnated as a fly. This fly is no ordinary fly. It is rooting for its love and it is out to take on its murderer. Revenge is on its way. And the only on-screen animal revenge story that comes close to it is dog Moti from Teri Meherbaniyan (1985). This fly will stop at nothing. It is fearless. Size doesn't matter. Intention does.

Sudeep's days become numbered (literally). The fly confesses, "I will kill you." Sudeep takes refuge under various covers but is no match for the 'might' of the fly. For it is fight to finish. Even a tantrik is no match to trap the reincarnated soul. The fly is out to show its animated power and how. It keeps you riveted. It spells out its identity to Bindu in her tears. And Bindu goes all out to help the makkhi to do or die. And the makkhi does both. It won't let Sudeep eat, sleep or anything else in peace. Things come to such a boil that it is David vs Goliath. David dies but takes Goliath along with him. And David is again re-born as a fly to protect Bindu.

Can you imagine a fly doing exercise, carrying mini bucket, dancing to

Salman Khan's towel dance or uttering Ajay Devgan's Singham dialogue "Aate Majhi Satakle". Even Akshay Kumar Chinta Ta Chita from Rowdy Rathore is there for this fly to flap its wings too. And it is truly awesome with its mighty needle. A pose that will never be erased from public memory. Can any of our Hindi heroes match this animated fly. Not by any chance. Never.

There is a lump in my throat when the valiant fly dies fighting. I'm lustily cheering. I couldn't care less for others watching the movie. Everyone is doing what I am doing. Life returns when the fly is re-born. There is hope...for India. In Kalyug a symbolic super hero is re-born. Can we Indians learn something from this fly? Never mind.

I return home. Its too humid. Machchar, makkhi, everone come in through the window. One makkhi is dancing near my ear. My hand automatically goes up to shoo it away. Swat, swat... I reflect. This fly is no super hero. This is only a fly. The super hero has been left behind in the theatre. Memory is alive. If only this house fly was the MAKKHI. Then I won't be swatting at it. If only. Do dreams come true. I smile. If only Indians will...there won't be any Ravan alive.

Songs are awesome, be it the title song or Are Are. And animation is so realistic, it knocks at our heart. This makkhi is more real than the real one. Nani is good in a miniscule role. And Samantha is cute, thousand times better than our over-painted heroines. She is dew-fresh. Sudeep is natural as a villain. The only thing that jars is the dubbing. In between suddenly, the original Tamil is heard. Even lip-sync goes missing. But this is forgotten after the MAKKHI appears. The movie belongs to the fly.

I am lost in my thoughts. Size doesn't matter. Intentions do. Watch this movie. Insaan jaag uthega. Murde mein jaan aa jayegi. Zameer jaag jayega. Har koi makkhi banna chahega.

Ek makkhi aadmi ko chuha bana deti hai. Cheers.*

Makkhi