Help Functionality:

Reliabiity & Satisfaction:

Notes is Gorupware
Jun 10, 2004 05:57 PM 4516 Views
(Updated Jun 10, 2004 05:57 PM)

Help Functionality:

Reliabiity & Satisfaction:

I worked with Lotus Notes since 1990 (it came out in 1989). It is NOT EMAIL! It is a groupware product. The Notes client is a pared down version of the server that contains its own database engine. This means if I have replica copy of my company's sales database, I can use it on the road. I can also replicate that database with my server at work to get or send updates I make. I can then work locally or offline with Notes databases, with sorting, scripting, etc.

So it is isn't Outlook. I have also administered Exchange Server with Outlook clients. Different animal altogether. As a mail client Outlook is just fine. But I would not want to use and install the SQL Server, Exchange & Outlook on my laptop, to do what I do with Lotus Notes.

Like all newer applications, Notes should run on modern PCs. No Pentium 133 type systems. Outlook 2003 doesn't exactly scream on my 233MMX! So you should at least use a Pentium 4 class PC to run Notes. Using and deploying Lotus Domino Servers and Notes clients requires thorough training. You wouldn't want a hot dog vendor to deploy a Windows server rollout would you? Or an Oracle database? Notes is a very complex but powerful application and you have to treat it as such.

For home use it would be the like the bazooka to kill a fly analogy. Just stupid! Outlook /OutlookExpress do internet mail just fine, except for the virus problems.

For a small company, with an external sales force or additional offices, Lotus Notes can be a great way to share information.

Lotus Notes R5