112, Eldorado Building, Nungambakkam High Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600034, TN

+91-8939095000, +91-44-42601234, +91-44-42601230

chennai India
Italian for veggies
Feb 10, 2009 02:39 PM 1073 Views

Little Italy - an Italian joint for the veggies, which is by the way very rare to locate in the cities. The best feature of the restaurant is that they have ventured out an international cuisine without meat ingredients. Hats off!

The ambiance is good with a prime location is Nugambakam and the place is vibrant in colours, but not so vibrant with guests the reason being it is way too expensive. The quality is cited as the motto of the restaurant and boasts of its ingredients being brought from Itay, maybe that’s the reason for it to be expensive.

The menu is extensive with appetizers, salads, soups, pastas, pizzas, 2 courses of main dish and desserts and designed nicely with full descriptions of the dishes The menu also holds a lot of crossed dishes for people who would want to have Indian food in an Italian restaurant by paying twice or thrice as much as they do in an Indian restaurant..Hmmm..I wonder who does that! Bombay, Nawabi, Indian pizzas, Masala Mafia are the ones you have to look out for in the menu if you want to have Indo-Italian cuisine.

I decided to go to an Italian restaurant to have decent Italian food knowing it would burn my pocket but not as much as it would by taking a trip to Milan ;) So I brushed aside all the Indian flavors and ordered Crostini Assortiti for the starters, as suggested by the not-so-warm attender.It was a mix platter of various toppings on small pieces of white bread.

Crostini being characterized with mozzarella cheese, did not have mozzarella but was mimicked by some non-yummy cheese, not sure if they ran out of mozzarella that day I visted!Few of the crostini was topped with fried tomato and onion and definitely pinch of garam masala, I sure know that’s not a ITALIAN. When they came in for feedback I did mention the Indian flavour in crostini, they replied with pride that they wanted to serve it in the Indian style.

Why should I come to Little Italy for this and pay 380 rupees for it? I am sure not against the Indian flavour, if in case you got that from my review, Indian food is the best and its my favourite, but I would enjoy it much better in a nice Indian restaurant paying the right price.

The main course we chose was Crespelle, which was delicious. It was stuffed pancakes with mushrooms served with rich cheesy sauce.The presentation was excellent and the portions were adequate.The other dish I had was lasagne, which was also good, but only remark was that they had used the same sauce as in Crespelle.

The service was good but the place could be made more warm by adding pleasant bearers.I would say the place is good but not eccellente!There are much better places you could enjoy Italian at much lower prices. But again the speciality being vegetarian and one of its kind makes it go places.

Little Italy - Nungambakkam - Chennai