Picture Quality:

Kodak

Windsor Canada
Glorified Webcam
Dec 29, 2002 08:24 PM 3018 Views
(Updated Dec 29, 2002 08:30 PM)

Picture Quality:

Shutter Speed:

Battery life:

Sorry about that title, I might be insulting some of the better webcams on the market! I have owned a Kodak DC3200 for about a year now. I bought it as it was being discontinued, so I got a bit of a deal but not enough of a deal to off-set the fact that this is a very bad digital camera. There is little I can say good about it, except for the fact that since it is discontinued, it can be had for peanuts. I see ''refurbs'' on eBay and other places for under $100. The first problem I discovered with this camera is its serial-port transfer system. I can take an hour to transfer several dozen images to your computer. The onboard memory is only good for a few pics, so a Flashcard is a must-have for this camera. Between having to buy a Flashcard and a USB card reader to speed things up, the price of this ''bargain'' camera suddenly goes up another $100. Then there is the battery issue. It takes four (4) AA size batteries. Unless you shut off the LCD display completely, you can count on having to replace those batteries after a dozen shots. So for reliable shooting on an outing, you'll need three sets of rechargeable batteries...or a friend who works in the stock dept. at Duracell. There's another $50 invested for batteries and a charger. Ch-Ching! Now let's take some pictures. First, there is a lag of a few seconds between the time you press the button and the camera takes the picture. What's it doing? There is no auto-focus or anything special going on. If you have a Flashcard installed, it will write the pic to memory faster. With the internal memory, you'll need to have a coffee handy. Pictures taken indoors under tungsten lighting are horrendous, despite efforts to adjust the camera's white balance settings. With the internal flash, indoor pics up between 5 - 10 feet are O.K. Anything closer washes out. Anything farther away is too dark. With outdoor shooting, the news is considerably better. Under partly sunny lighting, this camera does acceptibly both in terms of resolution and colour rendition. But if it's very sunny or if it is overcast, the camera starts to flake out. The other advantage of shooting outdoors is that you don't need to use the battery-eating flash. So one set of AA batteries (with the LCD display shut off) will last you an entire day of shooting. The softare that is packaged with this camera is very basic but does the job. No lens cap is provided. Would I recommend this to a friend? No, I would not. I would not recommend this camera to an enemy either. If I could do this all over again, I would have paid more for a real digital camera with a built-in lithium ion battery, USB transfer system, optical zoom lens, and higher resolution. Some of the models on the market right now for not much more $$$ offer all that. I didn't do my homework first. Don't make the same mistake.

Write a Review on Kodak DC3200