Road Grip:

Rs. 1,65,000 (Ex-Showroom)

Kinetic

Comet 250-miles to go before I sleep
Feb 09, 2005 11:55 AM 15624 Views
(Updated Feb 09, 2005 11:56 AM)

Road Grip:

The revolution has began in india with the entry of Kinetic Comet 250.Kinetic is importing this bike from South Korea in the CKD [Completely KnockedDown] format and would be assembled in India.

My dad will say that you can buy 2 used Maruti Vans at the price of this bike and start a taxi business[Typical Indian Dad] and I will say gimme the money [typical Indian khurafati-dimag son ;-)]

My two cents: Well,about the bike it is a 250cc V-TWIN at 75 degrees that produces 27 bhp.It is liquid cooled and has a 8-Valve engine and has twin down draught Mikuni CV carburettors. The chassis is rectangular steel cradle frame finished in silver.

The brakes are powerful with a 300-mm disc doing the works in the front and a 210 mm stopping the rear. The brakes are very effective and though there is a provision for employing a second disc on the front section,during my ride,I felt that the bike has adequate stopping power.

The bike sports massive tubeless tyres [thats what we want [;-)] with 110 section at the front and a 150 on the rear.By the way,tyres are made by Shinko,which is a Korean make. Another important thing is the difference between the rim sizes,the front rim is 3 inches whereaas the rear rim is 4inches which greatly aids in quick turning of this giant bike.What looks beautiful are the six-spoke alloys which lend a macho persona to the bike.

The suspension is very effective,meaty inverted forks upfront with a magnesium finish to the outer tubes and a monoshock rear suspension. Once you sit on the bike,it feels very huge and does not feel like a 250 at all but more like a 500/600.The reason behind this is that it has similar chassis to that used by the Comet 650.

The bike has a standard electric start and has a rev-limiter which restricts the top speed to 140. The ride is very steady and the top speed is limited to 140 kmph.The 1st gear top speed which I got was 55kmph and the 2nd gear saw it at upped between 80-85 knph.The bike is capable of doing higher speeds in the region of 160 kmph but he rev-limiter is the killjoy here.

The bike has a massive feel once you sit on it,the tank looms large and this coming from me [I am 5'10,200 lbs] ensures that its not very wll suited to shorter people.A sporty riding position keeps most of the rider?s weight neutral and importantly off the wrists so that long rides remain a pleasure.

The seats are dual and the ride height for the pillion provides a royal treat in form a commanding view of the road,but there is no grab-rail.[Heads I win ,tails you loose] for the babe seating behind.

The short ride of 10 minutes[without a pillion ;-)] was enough to satisfy me but the sticker price of 1,84,000 on road in Pune seems high for a 250 but it is being sold at a similar price in Australia and other markets too. Plus,it will have a high snob-value as this will be a limited edition bike,restricted to 500 buyers,to maintain exclusivity.

A good package overall but for a speed fanatic like me[who is eternally low on moolah],I will buy a RD-350 and do required engine modifications and that gives me a bike that can kick ass,at 1/4th the price.

A must-buy as a rich-boys toy,lucky dawgs!!!!

Kinetic Comet 250