Phone Banking:

Sep 22, 2009 01:29 PM 9666 Views

Phone Banking:

ATM Availability:

Internet Banking:

I had an urgency of opening a locker here in Chennai sometime back. Being near to my residence here, I approached the Indian Overseas Bank, Velachery branch. I also own a savings account in this bank and a small FD account as well, in the branch located at my office. I do not have a locker facility there. Among one of the most 'easy to locate' things in Chennai is the Indian Overseas Bank. You will see one in every nook and corner of the city.

I understand this is a govt. bank. Unable to afford to visit the same during the weekdays, I went there on a Saturday morning. The bank closes at sharp 12:00 noon on Saturdays. To make sure that I have a word with the ' branch manager ', I made sure that I reach there quite early. After enquiring with the customer care executives.

I was asked to go see the manager. I entered the 'king's' cabin and mentioned my reason of being there as well as the facts that I already own an account with IOB, Chennai, at my office branch and an FD as well. I also mentioned the name of the organization I work with.

The so called 'king', without even letting me to finish my words started, "no matter wherever you have whichever account, if you want to open a locker in this branch, you will have to open a new account here (to which I was OK) and also make a new FD with an amount of Rs 1, 15, 000 (for which I need to think)". To go for a fixed deposit of Rs one lakh and fifteen thousand, to me, is not a joke. I tried interrupting "Sir, may I know the process?" The 'king' blabbered again, without even listening to what I am asking "If you wanna open a locker in this bank…….Rs 1, 15, 000…..". The 'king' was sticking to this"one lakh and fifteen thousand" without even taking a break between his words and was not even ready to listen to anything. Was not at all allowing me talk and put forward my points / queries / doubts / issues.

All these made me so frustrated that I said, "Sir, I have come here for a support as a customer, and I cannot proceed if your communication continues like this." The king started again "I don't know anything. It you….open locker….1.15 lakhs…." This was all I could hear and bear and I ended up saying "Sir, if this be your attitude and the mode of communication, neither I am interested in opening an account nor a locker in your branch", and walked back home with a "never in my life will I approach this bank" at the back of my mind.

Indian Overseas Bank