Originality:

Gaaye Jaa Lucky
Nov 28, 2009 10:38 PM 5660 Views
(Updated Nov 28, 2009 10:46 PM)

Originality:

Lucky Ali has a cult following in the Indian (Rock) Music scene and I am proud to be a part of it. Its been 5 years since his last album "Kabhi Aisa Lagta Hai" was releasedand I was madly hoping that he wont be hanging his boots, at least not yet. So when I learned lately that he's cutting an album, my joy knew no bounds.

The album is called Xsuie (pronounced Iksoi) and the name means ‘Moving ahead in one direction, with certainty in your steps’. Only one song has been released, that too online on blueFROG. Furthermore, the album will supposedly be distributed entirely in a new fashion i.e online.

The released song is titled "Dil Gaaye Jaa" and is available online on blueFROG for 45 bucks. Its has also been converted to video/slideshow on youtube where you can listen to it for free.

Now if I'm making you impatient, lets get down to brass tacks. Sample clip is uploaded to give a taste of the song. Lyrics as under :-

Dil gaaye jaa, gaaye jaa, gaaye jaaye re

Mere kareeb kaun aaya, Nigahon mein woh chhaya, Hai uska mujh pe saaya, Tere siva kaun

Dil gaaye jaa, gaaye jaa, gaaye jaa

Phir se chala hai caravan, Dhoondo main tera nishaan

Hooo, gaaye jaa

Khaamosh hain ab raahen, Chalte hi chalte jaayen, Manzil mujhe bulaaye, Tere siva kaun

Dil gaaye jaa, gaaye jaa, gaaye jaaye re

Phir se chala hai caravan, Dhoondo main tera nishaan

Hooo, gaaye jaaa

Oh my heart keep on singing

Oh my heart keep on singing

The lyrics are great. The music shows flashes of brilliance that we have come to expect from him. Notice that little "Zoom" effect around 1:33 and then again around 2:50. I love it. The overlap of sounds towards the end is to good effect too but I'm not too sure about the chorus. But the low point of the song is that sentence in English "my heart keep on singing" in the end. You cannot have bilingual songs. It smacks of teenager-targeting pop singers like Bombay Vikings who are out to sell to Youngistan with the motto Hindi walon ko bhi bechunga, Englishwalon ko bhi bechunga aur Hinglish walon ko to baar baar bechunga. You cannot mix poetic verse in Urdu with Richard Marx/Celine Dion kinda mushy English. You just cannot. It spoils the finesse of Urdu.

Lucky Ali has been known to shoot tasteful videos for his songs in the past. Video for Dil Gaye Jaa has been shot in Shayadri Range in the Western Ghats and is expected to be out soon. We expect him to maintain the taste with which Sunoh, Sifar & Aks were shot. After Dil Gaaye Jaa, three more songs viz., Duniya ke Samundar Mae, O Raahi & Ye Zindagi are slated to be released soon. Eagerly awaiting their release too. Xsuie tracklist includes :-

1) Ik soi

7) Duniya Ke Samundar Me

8) Banjaara

9) Na Naa

10) Ye Zindagi

Its always a dicey thing to compare a new release with the Artist's previous work as it often leads to disappointments. But such is the standard that Lucky Ali has set in the past that I cant blame myself for high expectations. It seems XSuie is a bit louder/noisy by Lucky's standards and doesnt look like matching Sifar in sheer intensity and experimental brilliance. Sifar was the Sgt. Pepper of the Indian music scene far as I'm concerned. But then albums like Sifar are made only once in an Artists lifetime. I'd be happy even if Xsuie is half as good.

P.S - Review to be taken with a bucketful of salt as the Reviewer is a Lucky Ali fanatic-cum-lunatic and cant imagine being disappointed by his idol.

Iksoi - Lucky Ali