Handy:

IFB

Excellent Washing Machine (WM) - Digital 5kg
Sep 24, 2007 02:48 PM 11298 Views
(Updated Jun 23, 2015 01:37 AM)

Handy:

It is pretty surprising to read reviews, which has rated IFB Digital WM both bad and good. With due respect to everyone's views, I believe that this WM is great. I have seen many WMs with my friends and relatives. But this 5kg IFB Digital is better than any of them. [ Not because I bought it:) ] The machine is 2 and half months old and from the first day till date we have used it every day at least once. Even we have washed our cotton carpet in the WM.

There has been no issue till now with the functioning or wash quality of the WM. Only problem has been, the inlet connector to the tap. I think the extension inlet tube and the tap connector that I bought from the IFB service person are not compatible and it leaks near the tap unless it is connected properly.

As far as the machine is, I am very happy and satisfied. I gave a fair amount of time doing the survey before I selected this WM model. I don't have a brand bias but rely on performance. Now after using it(though only a short time) I feel IFB 5kg Digital is excellent. Extremely easy to use. Wash quality well above average as far as a washing machine goes. One of my friends has a LG front-loading WM and he feels the drum/motor rpm is too slow to have a proper wash! Durability - I cannot judge since I bought it recently.(One of my friends has a Whirlpool front-loading WM. It's program selector knob came out well before it completed its first year of service.) Design is convenient to use. Service and support has been fine till now. therefore, have to wait till I can comment. I highly recommend this device.

Plus points of this WM are, it remembers where the washing session stopped at the time of power failure and resumes function once power is up. Delay button is helpful. When water supply is not adequate or even stopped, it gives an error message [E2] and pause the session. Uses less water. We spent little less than 1kg of washing powder in a month after daily usage of the machine in full load [I do pre-wash only with water]. The wash program selector knob turns both clockwise and anticlockwise unlike most other IFB WMs, since this one is not mechanical. Simple selection buttons; my mother used the WM with ease even though she was not given any prior demo. The spin rpm can be set; I always reduce the spin rpm from 900 to 600. I believe drying in sun is healthy and especially when it is kid's clothes. To summarize, we all are happy using the IFB 5kg Digital WM.

I opted for an extended 2 years warranty for an additional sum of~1600/-. So my WM now has a 4 years warranty. The service personnel mentioned that the steel drum is the most expensive part other than the motor. Warranty covers everything. If you are interested in buying a stand for the WM please try to get it from IFB directly and ask the service engineer to get it when he comes to install. Inlet and drainage tubes are pretty short. Ask the installer guy to get an extension inlet tube if needed. For the drainage tube, try to get a cheap flexible tube that is usually connected to the washbasin drainage. If you ask for a WM drainage tube you will get something similar to the one I mentioned but at 4 times the price. Just connect the tube to the existing drainage tube. And after fixing the tap connector(sold to me by the installer personnel separately), connect the inlet tube and check if it is leaking. We face this problem regularly but my friends with other IFB WMs say that they don't have this problem. Probably I need to give a ring to the service engineer to get it fixed. Hope these comments will help you.

Happy washing.

Regards

An update to my review.

Last Saturday I ran the WM 4 times in a row! Had lots of clothes piled up and it was no problem doing so. The last run I kept the settings at 95C cotton. It was showing E5 error message. Which meant that the wash time has been increased since it was taking time to heat up. That was not an issue since the time was increased by another 5 or 10mins. I was again impressed by the intelligence of the machine. One more info that I got from my friend and an engineer is that, only 5kg Digital and above models have Bosch motor. The models below this, (5kg Elite, Senorita, Senator, etc.) have motors locally made in Bangalore and not Bosch. Am not sure if this is the differentiator. A little more than 6 months since I bought this WM and used it every single day, I do recommend 5kg Digital IFB to all.

Further update.

More than a year and a half with the WM and am still very happy with it. Use it every single day and without any problem. Got the tap connector replaced with a new one from IFB sales and services outlet, for Rs. 120/-, and this one seems to have paired well. I also used the de-scaling powder from IFB to remove any scales that may have accumulated till date on the heating element and the drum. Each month of usage adds up to my belief that it was worth the money spent.

Yet another update.

Three years over and the machine is performing just as the day one. No problem at all till this day and as mentioned earlier, we used this WM every single day. I received a SMS few days ago on the expiration of warranty. I had to call up the customer care to let them know that the warranty should be for four years and not three years. Am yet to hear from them reconfirming the same. Another thing I noticed is that we need to use the washing powder meant for the front loading machines and not the ones meant for top loading machines! It froths too much in this WM if we use the washing powder meant for top loading machines.

Three Cheers

Update 2012.

This update is to reconfirm that the IFB WM that was reviewed here, is now 4 and a half years and has performed without any sort of compromise. The trust that I developed during the usage of this machine led me to the purchase of a second machine of IFB make, for my Kolkata home. The Digital 5kg model has been discontinued and therefore, I bought 6kg Senorita SX. The features are similar to 5kg Digital. The new IFB WM has a separate rinse and spin dry option, which is a good addition. Display is bigger and with more information. Only thing that I did not like in the new machine is the door opener. The door handle has a chrome finish and feels plasticky and fragile. But overall, the new machine is nice. To protect the new machine from hard water scaling, I bought a filter with softner - FRESH'n' CLEAN from Eco Crystal. I will write a review on the new machine once I get used to it and run it well enough to identify any useful information for a review. Till then.

Indrajit

Another update: June 2015 - IFB service showed their standard!

My WM is now about 8 years running and non-stop every single day. A month ago the machine started showing E4 error(overload) even when it was empty and the machine won’t run. I lodged a service case with IFB(ticket number 15632383). After a couple of further calls Mr. Santosh visited our home and had a thorough check(As my wife mentioned. I was at office when he arrived). He mentioned that the motor, PCB, gasket and couple other components need replacement. It would cost about 8.5k INR. He also mentioned that if we take up an AMC then he can come after a month and replace those, free of charge. AMC will cost 3.5k INR. I was not convinced and called a local guy and asked him to take out the motor and check its carbon brushes. As expected, they were at their end of life. I searched many places for replacement brushes. But to my amazement, almost everywhere the said spare brushes are not available and they mentioned that I have to change the motor! Brushes cost about 200 INR max whereas motor costs 4.5k INR! I was not ready to give in and finally checked a few videos on YouTube on carbon brush replacement as I am a Biologist by education and have very basic knowledge on washing machine motors. Brushes were widely available on eBay USA for$2.5. Got them delivered through my friends and today I replaced them with the worn out brushes in the motor. As expected, all problems were gone. Machine vibrations reduced drastically and it sounded as it used to when it was new.

So guys please be aware, all the service engineers and authorized services in India, be it from a reputed brand or average one, very unfortunately, will make us pay through the nose for even a simple problem. They just make use of our ignorance. Fortunately for us the internet is loaded with related information. Just have to spend some time to acquaint ourselves. I appeal to all Indian consumers to wake up and stand up against this menace of being fleeced by these companies. I bet IFB will come back with very logical sounding explanation to hold their grounds. But I believe in the words "Hold on to your wallet and show them the door".(As said by Ricky Cousins from FnS)

IFB Eva VX