Plot:

Cinematography:

someplace India
The legend of Robert Neville
May 21, 2011 04:12 PM 1949 Views
(Updated May 21, 2011 04:11 PM)

Plot:

Performance:

Music:

Cinematography:

Guess What! I got a book named "The Zombie Survival Guide", written by a serious writer Max Brooks, which I am reading currently. Then I saw the draft pending here on this great movie "I Am Legend", so I thought to complete the review in good spirits i.e. in the zombie spirits :P One of the best made horrific zombie movie for which everything falls in place, the 1-man cast, the performances, the execution, the special effects, the horror, the soundtrack, the chills, and even the zombies too. This movie is directed by Francis Lawrence (Director of Constantine and newly released Water for Elephants) and is a post-apocalypse pattern movie.

The plot is based on 1954 novel of Richard Matheson (I have that book in my collection, and already read it), and is a third adaptation of it. The book is very small, and didn't explore much as this movie did explores. Plot can be compared to other zombie movies, but since this story was originally written in 1954, so I must say that good first-thought it was. Although the whole magic is created by screenplay (Akiva Goldsman, Marks Protosevich). The movie opens with a man, who is a lone survivor on earth, when everybody is killed. He and his dog was the only creature living on the earth, after the deadly virus either killed everybody or made them zombies, and they were spared, since they were immune to it. That man is Virologist Robert Neville (Will Smith). He now lives alone, roam alone on the shattered roads of New York, taking whatever he wanted from broken shops, where he even pretend normal, talking to dolls and non-living replicas of humans. But he is working on a cure for virus, and have everything stocked inside his house. Even his house is fully protected by shields, and heavy metal, since after sunset, zombies will come, and he always stays back in his house, using watch alarm, so as to close the house in time before the attack. But one day, he stuck in a zombie trap, and hence not able to reach his home in time. Zombies attacked him, but he was saved by a girl named Anna (Alice Braga), and his little brother Ethan (Charlie Tahan). It means there can be other survivors too and the girl wants to go that establishment, which is said to be guarded by US army. Rest, you see.

Everything is excellent about the movie, and it give a feeling of horror, and chills while watching the movie on big screen. I watched it in 2007 in theatre, on the day of its release. I am a big fan of Will Smith and he's just awesome in the role of the lonely man. Movie is 1.5 hrs long, and edited perfectly, not a scene of boringness (Wayne Wahrman). Background score is wow (James Newton Howard). And the cinematography is wonderful (Andrew Lesnie). Movie has two alternate endings - one which I saw where Robert dies, and the other one (came later) where he survives. Dash Mihok did the role of main zombie. Wonderful special effects are the main centerpoint of movie, where you have to show a devastated city, totally devoid of any life (Inception's special effects are the best till date). Some of the scenes worth mentioning

1. The introduction of Robert Neville

2. His closing down the house after sunset

3. Hunting of lion in suburbs of New York

4. His trapping in a zombie trap, and waiting for the night to come

5. The zombie hunting him

6. His saving by the women Anna

7. Last attack by zombies, and the Anna, Ethan escaping

I heard long back that the part 2 is coming, which was named "We are Legends", but till date its not prepared. I am waiting eagerly for the 2nd part. This movie is 5/5 for me.

GRuchirG.