Leg Room:

Hyundai Motors

bangalore india
Still going for Accent
Aug 01, 2006 04:13 PM 31463 Views
(Updated Aug 02, 2006 03:32 PM)

Leg Room:

Dealer Satisfaction:

Hi Friends,

Having driven Wagon-R from the past 2 and half years, I was looking for a C-segment car. I purchased Accent-GLE about a Month back (June 2006) after a thorough research.

I accessed my usage and also the money I have to spend. My usage would be around 20-30 kms a day and a outing once in month or two. With this kind of usage it is worth going for a petrol car rather than a diesel car because of difference in the price (around 2 lakhs). Since I was looking for a C-segment car at less than 7 lakhs (On Road Bangalore price), I checked up the available cars in this segement and found Maruti Esteem (vxi), Ford Fiesta 1.4, Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 and Hyundai Accent GLE.

I checked up each car for

1. Manufacturer

2. Launch of the Car

3. Performance/Milage

4. Reviews by owners/Experts

5. After sales service

6. Price tag

Manufacturer:

Maruti Esteem undoubtedly is the winner with respect to the manufacturer. Next came Hyundai GM and Ford closely competed.

Launch of the Car:

Again Esteem is the oldest of the lot followed by Accent, Ford and Aveo.

Performance/Mileage:

This was the most surprising part for me.

Engine Power:

Esteem - 1298 CC, Accent - 1495 CC, Fiesta - 1388 CC, Aveo - 1399 CC

Accent had the most powerful engine followed by Aveo and Fiesta.

Max Torque:

Esteem: 110 Nm @ 4500 rpm , Accent - 123 Nm @ 3500 rpm, Fiesta - 127 Nm @ 4000 rpm , Aveo - 127 Nm @ 3400 rpm

Fiesta had the maximum torque followed by aveo/accent.

With 94 bhps @ 6200 rpm Aveo had the fastest pickup. Fiesta (82 bhps @ 6000 rpm), Accent - 95 bhps @ 5500, Esteem-85 bhps @ 6000

Mileage wise Esteem was supposed to be the best. The mileage for other cars varied a lot from 12 kms to 9 kms.

I test drove all the cars and found that each car had something to offer. Aveo for interiors, Fiesta for the engine, Accent for value for money, Esteem most trusted.

Reviews by Owners/Experts:

Esteem and Accent were proven cars as per the reviews by the owner and also by the experts. Feista was only 1 year old and Aveo less than an year. Fiesta had rave reviews from both the owners and the experts. The Aveo had mixed reviews by the experts. Not much reviews from owners could be checked. But the Aveo had a much better interior than the Fiesta.

After Sales Service:

The "After Sales" service from Maruti is far ahead of its competitor Hyundai. Hence, again Esteem scored over other cars. Hyundai has the second largest network in India. Ford and GM are yet to catch up.

Price Tag:

Esteem is the cheapest of the lot at around 5.6 lakhs on road (in Bangalore), Accent at 6.13 lakhs, Fiesta at 6.67 lakhs, Aveo at Rs.6.90 lakhs.

My Decision:

After evaluation all the cars for the pros-n-cons, I decided to go ahead and buy the Hyundai Accent though I knew that Accent might soon be replaced by a new version or replaced by Verna. This decision was also largely influenced by a discount of Rs.30,000 given by Hyundai. Hence, the onroad price became Rs.5.83 lakhs. The reasons I went for Hyundai Accent:

Proven Car

Trust worthy Manufacturer

Mileage of around 12 kms (promised by dealer)

Good After sales service

and more importantly Value for Money.

The interior of the car is very good. The GLE version comes with Power windows (all 4) along with a beige interiors and a very good dashboard. The speedometer includes a tachometer, trip meter and also various other display like Door Ajar (all 4 doors), parking brake on, oil and battery check, low fuel warning.

I preferred Accent to Esteem coz., accent was value for money with more features than in Esteem at a lesser price. Though Fiesta and Aveo offered most of the features (some additional features also), the price difference between a Accent and these cars was almost a lakh of rupees.

Its been almost a month of happy driving in my accent. I have covered around 500 kms till date and I find driving is very very good and exhilirating. It comfortably glides through the roads without any fuzz. The handling of the car is very good (i wouldnt say exceptional). I felt the pickup is actually very good. Currently I am getting a mileage of around 11 kms (using Xtra premium petrol only) in city conditions. I am yet to take the car out for a longgggggggggg drive.

I will keep you posted more about my car as it runs alongggggggg......

Thanks & Regards