Delhi India
Great companion for writers but expensive
Jun 05, 2018 12:16 AM 543 Views
(Updated Jun 05, 2018 12:16 AM)

Grammarly is no doubt the best online grammar checker I have come across so far. It points out spelling errors and grammar(such as usage of punctuations) in real time. I have been using its free version for the last several months and it has really improved my writing skills. The free version, however, offers basic spelling and grammar checks only. It is especially beneficial for those who already have a  good grasp of grammar and punctuation.

Microsoft Word also does check grammar errors but I must say Grammarly fares better in detecting errors. Grammarly offers free browser extensions for Chrome, Safari(for Mac), Firefox and Edge. I have installed the plug-in on Chrome as I hardly use other browsers or my Windows 7 won't support some browsers. You can install the native desktop clients for both Windows and Mac computers or install Grammarly's add-in for Microsoft Office if you prefer to write documents using MS Word. On an Android and iOS devices, it can be installed as a mobile keyboard app.

Once you started using Grammarly as a companion for your writing stuff, you'll find yourself relying on it more than ever.  But at times Grammarly's real-time edits can be distracting when you want to type your thought without any interruptions.

On my Android phone, the Grammarly Keyboard app helps me to correct the grammar and spelling errors/typos as I go. Once you set the app as your default keyboard on your phone, it works for every app including Google Docs; although, it doesn't work on the desktop.

I especially like Grammarly's web plug-in as it corrects the basic errors whether I am writing a blog or writing reviews. But keep in mind, you need to have an uninterrupted internet connection to get it working on the web plug-in. Surprisingly, it also works within Mouthshut's CMS(see my screenshot attached).

The premium version offers up to 400+ checks and more advanced features like sentence structure and context, vocabulary enhancement, genre-specific writing styles check, and plagiarism detector. However, one may find it expensive to upgrade to its premium version. The premium version comes at$29.95/month, $59.95/quarter and$139.95/year.

In conclusion, I have listed down its Pros and Cons;

Pros:

• Best online grammar checker

• Useful for new writers

Cons:

• Expensive

• Cannot replace human proofreader.

Grammarly.com