16 Tips

Are you a superwoman?
Jan 13, 2010 06:12 PM 4041 Views

The other day I came to work and sat down with a sigh. I like saying this to my colleagues. "It's like beginning another day!"

The fact is for a working woman, who is also married and has kid/s, to get to office is like living an entire day in say 2-4 hours. The crucial thing however is to keep the energy levels good enough for you to not get cranky, depressed, or sick.

I once listed the tasks I do in the morning and on a really mad day I manage about 27 tasks(and btw, cooking is one task:)

Over time I have found my ways of minimizing the impact of the juggling act. It does impact you. Here's what I do:

1. I start my day with simple Pranayam(the Ramdev Baba method). Not too complicated. Just about 10-15 minutes of breathing and thinking nice thoughts. Do this really early in the morning, if you can. Let the peace of the world get into you.

2. Then, I go to the gym. This is one hour of pure pleasure. I love the adrenaline rush and the sheer feel of pure, physical exertion. And the most important thing-it sets a good mood for the entire day.

3. I go home and then the grill begins-cook, wake up hubby and kid, water the plants, soak the clothes, . blah, blah. While I do these, I am singing songs. It helps set a good mood for everyone at home. If you are not the singing type, put on music . anything that you like.

4. I completely utilize times I am totally alone. like on my way to work. I think about larger issues. "where my life is going", "what should I do in the next three years", etc. Most often, hubby and me travel together and have a good tete-tete. Some people listen to music during this time. This is also good as long as you value it enough to use it during your time alone.

5. It is also the time I make calls to people I care about. family, friends, etc. This is an important part of the day. I have put phone reminders for all of their birthdays and I never miss to call them. In our hustle-bustle of a life, let's not deny ourself the pure joy of listening to the giggle of an old friend.

6. Next, lunch time is the time to connect with colleagues. Have interesting and stimulating conversations. Gossip if you want to. It's a great way to destress.

7. Everyday, choose one topic(if you have the time and an internet connection) that you would like to know about. It helps me to keep my mind stimulated. The topics could range from films to books to cooking(recipes).

8. Lastly, in the night, just before you go to bed, spend about half an hour with your loved ones. Talk to them about general stuff, read, discuss, talk. If you want to watch TV, do it before you go to bed. Sometimes, if you are too tired, just lie down on your bed, shut the light, and talk.

9. Avoid eating spicy or flatulence creating food at night. Eat light, have proteins and complex carbohydrates(say salads, veggies). An upset stomach can affect your sleep. Eat at least two hours before you go to sleep. If you can't help it, eat light and have a glass of milk(if you do not have lactose intolerance).

10. The trick is to keep your mind stimulated and positive throughout the day. The energy levels stay up and whichever task you do, you end up putting 100 per cent in it.

It is essential to find time for yourself and you can if you plan your day well. Some of our lifestyle-related habits are not really helping us. And the best part is, we are the only one who can change it. No other person is responsible or to be confronted.

And believe me, there's a superwoman in all of us.

Keep rocking,