Road Grip:

Royal Enfield

Enfiled Fury GPX-175
Oct 08, 2006 03:19 PM 11942 Views

Road Grip:

I owned a 1988 manufactured Enfield Fury GPX-175. This has been one of the best bikes I have ridden till date in India excluding the RD350. As specified by many others the Key Introductions to India were the following:-

1. Mag wheels-The Originals made in Germany were far stronger and long lasting as compared to the Locally produced units in India which did duty on the GPX versions.

2. Disc brakes- a unheard on concept on bikes till the same was introduced.

3. Fairing- A mini fairing that provided more design than effective wind protection.

4. Electronic Ignition-

1. Flasher Facility.

2. Induction Resonator-Used by all company learnt from the Fury-Some called it Powerbox etc..

It also introduced the Electronic Tachometer -which was also available with the RD350 I think in those days.

The gearbox was of the Pull-Cotter system very rarely used in the World. I think the Honda 50 cc from the 70's were the only ones with it. It worked fine till you had to have the company mechanics tinker with it.

As I was located at Bangalore, I had the opportunity to meet a few good one's and some really terrible guys who had no clue on the Gearbox. The lesson learnt was simple,Don't try fixing it, until you find somone who really can. One mistake in aligning the Gear Rod and you could have a very expensive (RS 3000+in 1989)repair on your hands. Did take the company to task once and they did repair the same for free.

The electrical were of the 6V variety , though trouble free, the Battery charging unit was the only catch to an otherwise good system.A simple modification of using a car halogen-eg:12V-60/55 w on the headlamp unit provided much needed lighting for a fast bike.Also, truck drivers took heed , very quickly on the highways.

The Front Shock Absorbers were the best in the business, in those days they had the best damping and the longest Travel- I Doubt if they have been beaten till date..Poor quality on Oil seals in later models were a problem until you sourced similar size oil seals from other Bikes.

The Carburettor and the Induction resonator, were good, but the Bellows connection to the engine and to the Air filter were not really good. I managed to create a new manifold generated by bolting two 350 manifold in reverse and drilling a space for the Induction resonator pipe to resolve inlet manifold problems. Mounting the Metal plug for the resonator will araldite solved all issues.All this with help from my Mechanical friends at the garage.

If one went further, one could use the RD 350's synthetic float against the fury's Metal float and rid one of Punctured floats and fuel overflows faced by many.

The bike had done close to 80,000kms and was in operation till 2005. There are only Two really good guys who can fix this bike in Bangalore. Anyone interested mail me and I will help you with the same. One of them, Andrew was so good that he rode a Stock Fury to Second Place on the Nandi Hill climb against the RD350's , losing more to the fact he lost the 2nd Gear than to technical expertise of the much larger RD350's.

In spite of all the minor hiccups due to poor support from Enfield and the company moving to Eicher in those days, me and my friends would not settle for anything else.Its stability was phenomenal, not withstanding the bullet. I have once done a 75mtr wheelie with my mother behind -though unintentional it still held perfectly through.

It's power was very raw and was a great looker in the GPX skinned version with fiberglass side panels-which was emulated by all and sundry since.

Me and my sister have put many a rider to shame on initial and a long distance drag-RD350 excepting on the long drag. The poor guys in thier bikes had no clue what they were getting against.

We have shared out research and support to many fury rider's in the past. An unfortunate loss of Registration papers during transfers between states,has resulted in the vehicle being seized by Border authorities. Hope to have the same rectified when I am back in India and continue the tradition. I can personally strip the bike down to its gearbox -learn't by experience /manuals and time spent with the mechanics and the fact that excepting a few the other mechanics would only damage your prized motorbike.

Request the MS officials to please remove the existing picture- as soon as possible.

best regards,