Shoe Weight:

Range:

How The Mighty Have Fallen
May 18, 2017 08:23 PM 10269 Views (via Mobile)

Shoe Weight:

Range:

I received my first pair of Docs for Christmas when I was 14, way back in1997. I wore them everyday on all types of terrain, I even went camping and hiking in them. My boot care was minimal: an occasional polish or wax with Kiwi products. The boots lasted until I was 26, and the only reason I tossed them was because they had been improperly stored in a damp area resulting in a smelly mold growing on the leather. My fault.

At age 30 I purchased a new pair, the 14 eye 1914s, expecting the same quality and longevity. I was unaware that Docs had been acquired by a large investment firm who, presumably to enrich themselves and their shareholders, moved manufacturing to China and Thailand, I believe. The leather of my new pair was far less supple, it almost seemed as if there was a plastic coating on it. Within one year, the leather split in three places. One year! I contacted the company to see what could be done, but was told that the boots were not under warranty and, as such, Dr. Martens was not responsible for "normal wear and tear".

I chalked my experience up to a manufacturing defect and invested in yet another pair. These were even worse. The leather was physically thinner and the boots were mis-cut, as I could lace the right one completely closed but not the left. Again, within a year, the leather split on both boots. I recently bought yet another pair, but have no delusions of their lasting longer than a year. I'd buy another brand of boot(Gripfast, maybe), but there is something about the look of a pair of Docs that pleases me. I'd probably be better off going barefoot and saving my money.

Dr. Martens