5 Tips

In 2002, I say NO!
Sep 27, 2002 08:29 PM 6913 Views
(Updated Sep 27, 2002 08:29 PM)

Do you need a digital diary?

Well, had this question been asked 5 years back or even earlier, I would have said yes, with a capital Y.

Consider that it wasn’t quite a digital era and having a digital diary was greeted with “wow”. Like described in my earlier review, I had a paper diary that was in tatters. Of course the paper one had its own advantages – I could just tuck in the back pocket of my jeans and sit down too. Entering the data using a pen was much easier than typing it out. I wouldn’t loose my data, even if I dropped it from Petronia tower’s terrace. But then it had its own disadvantages – the pages had come out from its binding, water had faded some entries besides leaving a blotch mark and there was a limitation in the number of entries in a particular letter. I ran out of space for the letters ‘S’ and ‘N’ and had to resort to the surnames. That limited quick retrieval. Also shuffling of torn pages to find a number quickly was quite an effort.

And while I have a good memory myself, scratching my head, to remember the number of that guy in Mechanical, whom I hardly had much interaction was quite a task. To cite another example, Anu from our group had another house with a different phone at Andheri, which I had memorized, but she is normally always in her residence at Thane. So on one important occasion when she had been to Andheri and I wanted to contact her, I just could not recall that number. Limitations of a Homo Sapein

And have you heard of a paper diary beeping in the morning to wake you up or to remind you that it’s the birthday of that girl you have crush on. Yeah! Think about it. So its yes, Yes, YEs and YES and hmmm Y-E-S. A digital diary can store several 100 numbers, a calendar, scheduler and to-do list to double up as your secretary. In case you don’t know what 65348 x 23456 is off-hand, a digital diary has a calculator, too. Some models can keep track of your expenses(you have to feed it i.e.). Some tell you when you should be calling your aunty in Tokyo and your sister in New York – world time, a few button clicks away. Some diaries can tell you that$23= Rs 1138.50 if you tell it that$1= Rs. 49.5. If you have the bucks you can get the one with PC communication capabilities and sync it with MS Outlook, so that you are man/lady/whatever on the move and well organized. Ho hum! See what I mean! I am sure that the message is clear.

But now that you have clearly got the message, I would like to tell you that You don’t need a digital diary at all!

I mean not now. Just look at the world around you. It’s all digital!

Do you have a mobile phone?

Then you already have a digital diary with you with all features – calculator, scheduler, reminder, alarm clock, to do, address book – everything you wanted plus a phone. Plus unlike the loss of data problem on removal of battery, the mobile phone data is more reliable. Though you may argue that the one with PC sync or the advanced versions of diaries are good enough, I would say, “Hey look at the price tag”. Most digital diaries are around Rs 1500 and they are basic enough for me to say that NO you don’t need ‘em anymore. The ones with PC sync needs a cable and a software, which you don’t get with the diary and if you try purchasing these essentials sold as accessories, you would be surprised to know that they cost more than the diary itself. Oooh! Buy a mobile instead. Even a less than Rs. 3, 000 handset can surprise you.

So the crux is “It’s just not enough to be organized, you need to be mobilized too.”(Sic! But true).

Of course, these are my views and it is quite an open topic. I know that while many would agree, an equal number would beg to differ and I appreciate that.